[thirteen - where's ethan?]

Our lips move perfectly in sync and I can't really explain how incredible it feels. I have kissed a numerous amount of other girls and have done many things with them, but I have never kissed anyone and it feel like this.

Jess' lips move perfectly against mine and she seems to know exactly what to do. She kisses me harder than anyone ever has, making me feel like I am in some alternate reality.

"Jess," I hiss in between kisses.

She pulls away slightly, and I feel her fast breaths against my lips.

"Thank you," I whisper.

I lean my forehead against hers and keep my eyes closed. I feel her swollen, pink lips turn into a smile and it makes the feeling in my stomach double.

"For what, Ethan?" She breathes.

I open my eyes to meet hers.

"For a lot of things."

Jess has done a lot more for me than I deserve, like helping Grayson clean up the shit I leave behind after a fight, and looking past my mistake of calling Samantha. All I have done since I've moved here to LA is be a dick to everyone and get in fights at someone else's house, but this girl is still sitting right here next to me, in my car, late on a Saturday night.

I don't know why, but I do know that I am thankful.

I lean in to kiss her again, craving the feeling I always get when I do.

-

Jessica's POV.

"Well, thanks for making my Saturday night interesting." I smile at Ethan.

I still feel weak from all of the kissing we did. My heart hasn't stopped fluttering since.

Ethan laughs lightly at my statement, and I glance up to see what has easily become one of my most favorite things in the world, his smile. It almost never comes out, so when it does, it is so, so beautiful.

"Anytime."

I smile once more at him before finally opening the car door and jumping out onto the hard concrete of my driveway. I wave to him after slamming the door shut.

I turn on my heel and begin walking to my front door. After my night with Ethan, I appreciate and respect him so much more. Now that he has opened up to me, I know that I can trust him.

I feel like he has revealed a side to me that no one else has ever seen, and for that I feel so grateful.

Nothing can ruin my state of euphoria as I open the front door to my house and enter.

"Jessica Lane, where the hell have you been?"

Except that.

My mother pierces her eyes into my soul as I step into the living room of my house. She stands stiffly in the doorway, arms crossed over her chest.

I am at a complete loss for words.

"I was j-just out, um, with a friend-" I pathetically attempt to make something up, but she quickly interrupts me.

"I looked through the front window, Jessica. I saw him."

I gulp.

"Do you know what time it is?" She continues.

I look down to the floor, unable to keep looking at her.

"It's three o'clock in the morning, Jessica. I was worried sick about you, and you were out with a boy! You couldn't even answer my calls or texts!"