[twenty eight - talking it out & making a promise]

Jessica's POV-

"How was the dance, sweetheart? You weren't gone for long." My mom greets me as I walk through the front door.

I have absolutely no interest in talking to her at the moment. I feel completely drained.

"Can we talk about it tomorrow? I'm really tired," I pull off an exaggerated yawn to further the act.

"What's wrong?" 

There's no getting it past her. My mom always detects when something isn't exactly right. She is my mom, after all.

I sigh before collapsing onto the couch in front of us.

"Tonight just didn't really go as planned, that's all." I shrug.

"Well, what happened?"

I shake my head, deciding that I do not have the energy to continue the conversation.

"Nothing, mom. It's nothing," 

I stand from the couch and feel as if I have to drag my feet one by one to make it to my bedroom. I don't know why, but I feel sick.

Actually, I do know why. Samantha. 

Her words about Ethan have not escaped my mind since she said them. She got exactly what she wanted; she got into my head and now there's no turning back.

Just as I sit down on my bed, my phone begins to ring in my back pocket. I hesitantly reach for it and sigh for what feels like the hundredth time tonight as I answer the call.

"Hello?"

Tons of noise and various commotion erupt from the other side of the phone.

"Jessica? It's Grayson, you're not going to like what I have to tell you," his voice is rushed and full of panic.

I rise my hand up to my face, almost smacking myself in the process. What could possibly be happening now?

"What is it?"

"It's Ethan, he must have come back to the dance for something, and he just... lost it like he always doesHe broke a few tables and even punched a hole into the wall."

My heart drops. 

"Did he hurt anyone?"

"No, no. Not this time. Just broke some stuff,"

"Why? What caused him to go off?"

Grayson is silent for a few moments. I hear loud music in the background, so I'm assuming he's still at the dance.

"Um, I'm not for sure. I didn't get the chance to talk to him before the principal kinda, um, escorted him out of the school..."

"What? Are you serious?"

How could he have done something like this? He was doing so much better. Something must have really bothered him for this to have happened.

"I wish I was lying to you. I'm about to leave, I'm going to go home and talk to him. Have you heard anything from him?"

"No. The last time I saw him we were at your house, and I drove my car home from there. I had no idea he was going back to the dance."

Why did he go back?

My self conscious is horrified at the thought of him going back to spend time with Samantha. That couldn't have possibly been it.

But, why else would he have gone back?