Six

I love being on stage. I even love the long hours and all the rehearsals in the strangest ways. No. That was a total lie.

But some things are good. In the end at least. Yeah, you sit there for hours, you dance a lot, you promise yourself you'll be productive waiting and you're not, and you become exhausted but still have to push through hours of leaning/perfecting a show, but in all that time, you make friends and memories. And it does feel good to have just worked your ass off, and then go to bed. My sweet, sweet bed.

Visions of staring out at an audience fill my head like I'm a little girl, only dreaming of it.

I first take a shower and then I do a little bit if work with money and bills before I go to sleep. Thank god for Hamilton's popularity. I'm making a decent amount of money and I"ll pay rent and be able to go to classes by the time I leave the show.

I lay down in my bed and wrap myself in my blanket, staring out the window at the moon until my eyes fall heavy. My phone suddenly vibrates. I click it and put it to my ear.

"God, Jake. I said 'fuck off.'"

"Woah, what?" Oops.

"Oh, sorry Pippa. I just assumed. I should have checked the ID."

"Who is Jake?"

"Ignore that. Why are you calling me at one in the morning?"

"You didn't text anyone, just checking up."

"Thanks. I'm fine and you don't always have to check."

"I couldn't live with myself if I didn't. Goodnight."

"Night." I put my phone back down and finally fall asleep.
-
"It's just her past. I know she's mature enough to take care of herself and all, but I worry about her past. It seems pretty rough." I hear Lin say. I stop in my tracks. They aren't talking about me, right? I doubt it.

"I'm just saying, maybe you should worry a little less. Okay?" I start walking again, away from the door and go downstairs.

"Hey." I say to Betsy. She waves and Tommy walks in behind me.

"Kelsey, a word." Shit. I step back into the hallway with him. "I'm not mad. Don't worry." Tommy is only strict when he needs to be. He's nice, though and isn't a scary director. I'm just terrified of anyone with authority. "There comes a time when you need to step away from your notes," He says, looking at mine, "And have fun. I can tell that you like being on stage but I do not want to see how hard you're working. I wan't to only see that you are a performer. Then, there's also the offstage piece where it almost seems like OCD and you have to have these."

"I'm sorry. I just want to do the best I can. Everyone has been really properly educated in theater and/or been on broadway and-"

"You fit in. You do realize that you're on broadway already, right? You're nineteen. You're doing fine."

"Thank you, sir."

"What are your plans for school?"

"I want to take classes when I'm done here."

"Do you want to continue with musical theater?"

"Yes."

"May I suggest online classes? You have a nice resume for your age and now you can add this."

"Thank you."

"No problem. Go get ready for the show."
-
Lin's POV
"I haven't been en pointe since I graduated." Someone says.

"I wouldn't recommend taking a full class right away." Kelsey says, closing her goddamn notes. I might burn them. She has used them far less, though.

"I would never do that." She laughs.

"What age are you teaching?" I ask her.

"Sixth through eight grade."

"So you don't take Monday off anymore?"

"It's only for two more weeks."

"I swear, if you get hurt-"

"Lin. I've been en pointe for eight years. I used to teach there."

"Wait, really?"

"The elementary school kids. I got to take the adult classes free and that's why I kept dancing." Why is this the only thing I've learned about her directly from her. I haven't spoken to her almost at all all month, and I've only seen her in rehearsals so at least she's talking to me. But of course, she stops talking and I end up talking to Sydney but I see his eyes drifting to Kelsey who is on the floor, several times. Finally, I do, wondering what he's looking at. She's eating grapes.

"You need more food then that." I say. I don't think that she knows I am talking to her. Like I said, we don't talk. "Kelsey." She looks up at me.

"Oh, I did. Before." She zips the bag with the remanded of the grapes and stands up, walking out behind me.