Eighteen

I hold the microphone in my hand, stretching my foot under me, pressing the front of it into the ground.

"Are you still in the cast?" A girl asks.

"I'm on leave right now but I'm planning on returning."

"How come?"

"It's a hard show. I can't completely answer that for you but it does have to do with the exhaustion coming from performing that much." Another kid asks if it's physical exhaustion.

"Mental. But it is physically exhausting as well."

"What's your favorite song to sing in the show?"

"I love Wait for it. It's sung a lot by Leslie who is very talented, but it's so great when all the voices in the cast come together, and little parts from small groups make up the missing parts of the song. If anyone knows it, it's part of the cast singing one part, repeated by another, another, and then all together and I enjoy that."

"How long have you been performing it?"

"Four months."

"What's it like working with the creator?"

"He's a genius so I'm actually terrified of saying something really dumb in front of him, even though I know that he won't judge me or anything. He's not scary, at all. I shouldn't be afraid but I am. We have time for one more question."

"Do your past experiences ever make their way into your life now?"

"Yes. That is expected, I always knew it would. It's better then it was, but some things still bother me and I just have to fight to stay happy and keep it in the past because I already escaped it once and I know that I can." Thank god this is over!
-
"Happy early birthday." One of my old teachers says. I never had very many mean ones. If they were strict, they weren't normally mean. Those things are different.

"Thanks." She gives me a sad smile.

"I didn't know about what happened after graduation." I shrug.

"I usually don't tell people."

"I just feel like I should have known before you graduated." I shake my head.

"It's hard to tell the line between depressed and suicidal. Or what jobs I might stoop to." She gives me a sad smile.

"I'd come see the show if I could." I laugh. "But I'm sure I can catch some clips from videos online. Bye, Kelsey."

"Bye." She heads back out of the room and I notice someone approaching me.
-
Lin's POV
I wrap my arms around her and pull her close to me.

"I was here. I heard."

"Everything?" I squeeze her tight.

"All of it." I rub her back, her body mostly bones under my arms. She hugs back, thankfully. We stay still like that for a while. One of the teachers walks in and sees us but she doesn't hear the door. He looks confused a second but then smiles and walks to the edge of the stage to grab his things. She hears him now and steps out of my arms. I keep my hand on her back for comfort.

"Jonah Gray."

"Lin-Manuel Miranda." I shake his hand.

"Are you taking care of her now?"

"I'm doing my best." She walks behind him to get her backpack.

"Protect her. She's vulnerable." He whispers. She looks over. "I'll see you around, Kelsey, okay."

"Okay, bye, sir." He waves and leaves the room.

"Where are you headed?" I ask her. She shrugs.

"Home."

"Mind coming with me?"

"Um, sure, I guess."
-
A/N- thanks people reading this✌😊✌️