Ninety

"I love this hairstyle." Sam A says, distracting me from my work in the dressing room.

"What?"

"When you take out your braids and this one section of your hair is so different."

"Great. My lack of coherence is lovable."

"Someones in a bad mood." Amber says from her station. "She was so happy earlier, prying into our lives and scouring for every detail of every event. Now she's like a cheese-less mouse."

"I had cheese on my salad, thank you very much. What time is it."

"Ten. We should probably head out now since we don't wanna be out too late."

"I've gotta finish this. You guys have fun and tell me about it."

"You said you'd come." Sam P says. I sigh.

"She was up last night with her friend. Let her finish her work."

"What friend?" Amber asks.

"Niki. You don't know her. She broke up with someone." I say.

"Why do you sometimes have like no work for a week and then you have twice as much the next?" I shrug.

"I wish I knew."

"You care too much about your friends." Peanut says.

"Too much?"

"Yeah. You're willing to write this in one night after performing and no sleep because someone you've known for a little while had a break up."

"Okay, do you want me to just ignore you the next time you have a problem."

"Ouch."

"I never would."

"I know."

"But come on. Come for an hour. We want you to and you need to loosen up."

"Guys." Justice says.

"What?"

"It's mothers day."

"Oh."  They look back at me.

"Have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow."

- ЅUℳℳℰℛ-

"Kelsey." I push Ambers hand away, turning my head futher into my pillow. "You're always up by now. And why are you in your dress?" I shrug, looking up at her. "You look unwell."

"Don't worry about it." I find that my strap has fallen off the shoulder and that the flowy part of my dress is mostly around my waist from tossing and turning, my legs bent up besides me. I'm a mess. "You totally think that I slept with someone." I say, fixing myself and crawling out of bed.

"Maybe." She says, quietly.

"I didn't."

"You're too thin. I'm putting cream in your coffee." She says, walking away. I sigh and go to shower and change. "What the hell is going on with you, Kelsey." She asks, handing me the coffee. She slowly started watching what I eat. My friends eased up when I got "happy" after Jackson came. Now I feel like someone is always there.

"Stop saying my name."

"Why are you getting mad about that?"

"Because I do. I thought I got my spare key back."

"I took it off the fridge the other day."

"Why?"

"Kelsey, you were fine for a while. Great in fact. After mothers day, you were great. I'd never thought you could be that happy and content with life. You didn't ever have issues. I couldn't even believe it after just the sliver of your life I know because you refuse to tell us anything more. But I didn't care anymore because you were so happy but then you came crashing down within a week. What happened?" I sit at the counter in silence for a moment.

"Thanks for making the coffee." I stand up and walk to grab my bag.

"And why aren't you eating?"

"I am. I want my key back."

"You don't want friends. Alright." She takes it out of her pocket and puts it on the counter.
-
"It was the dumbest thing I've ever done on stage."

"We all mess up." I hear Amber say. "That's why performing live is so interesting. At least your nose is okay." She says to them. I lower myself into my seat in the dressing room as my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Kelsey?" Lin asks, concerned.

"Hey. Used to not performing yet?"

"Never." He asks, his tone completely changing. Less serious.

"You will be."

"So how are thing there?"

"Great."

"It seems like a close cast."

"Yeah. When does Emmy start?"

"Not long. You sound off."

"I'm not. But I should probably get ready."

"Okay. Lily's wedding real soon. I'll see you."

"Yep. Bye."

"Bye." I hear a burst of laughter from the girls behind me at something one of them said. I just put on my make up, do my hair, get dressed, and out of the room as soon as I can as they sing and dance and talk, having fun getting ready. I wish I could. I go wait backstage, reading my book.

"Did you just take a picture of me?" I ask Chris when I see it.

"Yeah. It looked cool from down the hall."

"You have some interest in photography."

"No. I have an interest in interesting things. Like this sight."

"Oh." I just look back at my book.

"It's on my snapchat story if that's okay."

"I guess."

"Hey. Almost time to go home. Cheer up." I nod.

"Thanks. Good luck in the show."

"You too. See you on stage."