Seventy-eight

@peanutpollino I'm just like you!

My phone rings two minutes after I post the picture Carleigh took of my sitting by her window after she put them in.

"You're space buns are so fucking adorable but you stole them!" Samantha says.

"Mine are real."

"Oh, it's on." I laugh. "Watch your back." I laugh.

"Okay, try me." She hangs up and Carleigh shakes her head.

"Weirdos. What show or movie do you wanna watch?" She asks before taking a bite if her apple.

"Paint drying."

"What?"

"Charlie Lyne."

"Let's not." I laugh as she hands me the clicker and I start flipping through as she goes on her phone. "Uh oh." She suddenly says.

"What?"

"She stole your braids."

"Oh no she didn't." She say, leaning over to look. My phone buzzes and I see that she has face timed me.

"You stole my braids."

"Now you know how it feels." She's outside, walking somewhere with Amber beside her.

"You got beat." Amber says.

"Oh, you wanna be a part of this. I'll steal yours."

"You don't know how to do it."

"I saw you do it."

"Then I'll steal Carleigh's poof."

"You wouldn't."

"I will." She says as Sam hangs up.

"She stole my hair."

"Put your hair in space buns."

"Alright." She says, sitting up and grabbing some pins. Jessica arrives and we stick her hair in buns immediately. By the time we get the picture, Sam and Amber have posted a pic together. We post and I grab my dance stuff, heading out to class.

Before class begins, I get a message of four girls in the cast with braids.

"Shit, our hair." I say as the teacher tells us to move out into the center of the studio. Jessica laughs.

Our hair is still up in buns. But we win.

I post a video if us dancing at the end of it that Aden took, coming in at the end because the studio is open after.

Almost all the girls have space buns because they thought it was fun. I've known a lot of this class since middle school and have danced with them for so long that we can act like kids.

@peanutpollino We win!<3

I plug my phone in in the almost empty studio and my friends are put to work, now aware that I have three weeks to choreograph the junior companies piece. It's not very long, but still. It's a lot.
-
"I am not offended, nor have I lost." Sam says on FaceTime while I sit at the desk. "I am flattered."

"Or a sore loser." I whisper. "Just kidding. I gotta go. Gotta get the job done."

"Go start a new nation."

"Oh. I have to meet my son."

"Oh, what's his name?"

"The total assets of a company are equal to the total of liabilities and shareholder equity." I say quickly.

"What?" I lift up my textbook so she can see that I'm getting my schoolwork together.

"Boring."

"It's not that boring. You see, Assets equal Liabilities plus Shareholder Equ-" it freezes, beeps and then disappears I laugh and pick up my phone, texting her to go to bed.

S: Im not tired

K: Well then help me study.

S: No, that stuff is all fancy

K: Its literally the foundation of double entry accounting. It's nothing that you don't know.

S: You know what I don't like dealing with after two shows? Money. I wanna just have it and be happy with it.

K: Don't we all? GO TO BED OR I'LL CALL YOU AND READ YOU NUMBERS UNTIL YOU GET TIRED

S: Ohh. Scary math.

K: Boring math.

S: True. Night

K: Night
-
"So you seem to have kept in touch with the Chicago cast." Lin says, leaning against the edge of the desk.

"Yeah. It hasn't been that long so we still talk to each other." I say, circling something on the page in front of me. "I found an apartment. Not far from here too."

"You did? How come I didn't hear of this?" I shrug, clicking my pen.

"Vanessa trusted me to find it myself."

"And work?"

"This show is starting rehearsal in the theater Saturday."

"After that?"

"Some small shows I guess. They asked me to be in one of theirs. Whatever else I can get." I shut the binder and put it beside me.

"What about coming back to the show. Well, not Broadway. But what about Chicago."

"Like, audition again?"

"No. No, fill a spot in Chicago."

"Really?" He nods. "Yeah. That's amazing."

"You have to stay healthy though. All month."

"I will. I swear." I stand up and give him a hug. "Thanks for everything, Lin."

"This wasn't me."

"But where would I be without you? Probably dead." He hugs me tight.

"You're so grown up." I laugh. "Again."

"Well, this time, I'll do it this adult thing right."

"No such thing." He says as we pull apart and look at each other, both now sitting side by side on the edge of the bed.

"I'll do better."

"You can't be certain."

"I won't swallow all my pills and hard liquor and let myself bleed out on the bathroom floor." His eyes meet mine. Teary. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." He pulls me into another hug, squeezing me so very tight.

"Oh, now I'm gonna have to pay someone to take Seb when we aren't around." I laugh again.