Eighty-five

Ambers POV (heeeyyyy someone else)
I open the door and put her keys on the counter.

I see pictures on her bed and on the ground and pit my bag down, bending down.

There are many. I see one of her in a blue sweater with a plaid skirt and tights. She was so upset that she wore something similar today. I didn't think that it looked like a uniform but it must have reminded her of this. There is another of several kids in uniforms, blouses and all.

One of her with a coat over it and snow all over her and her hair, an apartment building behind her and a french beret on her head. The picture is poorly taken and black and white. She looks sad in these but I don't know why she couldn't see them. I start collecting them when I come across some where she is hurt. There is a picture of kids in front of a children's home.

She was an orphan. I know very little about her childhood and I'd thought that it might be true but I didn't read the article carefully, not really wanting to know.

They are follows by many pictures of a sad girl, half the time hurt. I shake my head and put them in the envelope. She looks so similar. And her eyes are so incredibly sad. I look at Lucy, asleep in her cage. Of course she picked an abandoned one. And Lucy is a little older too. It was her terms and I think it was kind of sweet. She really cleaned her up well.

"Hi, girl." I say when she lifts her head. "How did your mom get here?" I ask, putting the envelope on her bed and taping it shut.

When I return, they are sitting still and staring ahead.

"The envelopes on your bed."

"Thanks so much. Really." She says, standing up. She still seems affected by what had happened. And small and tired. I don't ask her to ever say anything anymore. I don't know how much there is for her to say so I won't push it.

"It was no problem."

"I owe you. I know that it didn't seem like much but I just- I don't know. I freaked and ran."

"You don't have to explain. I gathered some information from those and that article." She nods, looking away. "Wanna get a drink?"

"Underage."

"At my place."

"Please." I laugh and the three of us walk to my apartment.

Kelseys POV
"What's you tolerance?" Amber asks, handing me a glass.

"High." I simply say.

"Do you drink a lot?"

"I did. Not anymore. I just hate being out of control of myself. Besides. Rehearsals."
-
"A subsidiary ledger containing only accounts for vendors from whom items are purchased or bought on account." I say. Amber flips to the next card.

"Word for word. Depreciation Expense."

"The portion of a plant asset's cost that is transferred to an expense account in each fiscal period during a plant asset's useful life." I ramble, standing in the dressing room after Amber put her make up on and as the other girls get ready.

"Have you done credit and debit?"

"With Peanut earlier."

"There's one more. Withholding allowance."

"A deduction from total earnings for each person legally supported by a taxpayer, including the employee." After that much studying and all the other shit I had to memorize, that's not hard.

"Well, it was the last one in this deck."

"I did it?"

"Yep. You're gonna kill it."

"Yay. Thanks." She passes me the cards back and I pick up my textbook. Now I have dance. "I've gotta go to class. I'll see you after unless I can't pull my face out of this study material."

"What were you like in high school?"

"Oh, now that was bad."

"And this isn't?"

"No. I drink coffee now."

"How many cups have you had."

"Three. Bye." I say, running out of the door.

"You do too much." Justice calls.
-
I collapse in a seat in the theater next to Amber.

"How'd it go?"

"My head hurts. But I think okay." Luckily Alex is here so I have a familiar face.

"Hey, kid." He greets me.

"I'm not a kid."

"Yeah you are. You look tired."

"I am tired. I haven't slept."

"Neither have I. I've been helping her study." Amber chimes in.

"Sorry. I'll be smarter next time."

"Next time?!"

"Yes, I have two more exams like this."

"Ugh!"

"And some smaller ones."

"Why?" She cries.

"Don't worry. I'll annoy Peanut with it."

"What if you don't even do this and you just dance the rest of your life."

"I can't dance the rest of my life. My body's gonna break down or revolt."

"You can sing."

"What if someone replaces my drink with bleach in hopes of killing me and it just destroys my vocal chords."

"You'd smell it and taste it."

"What if they first pushed me down a flight of stairs first and it broke my nose and I couldn't do either?"

"Well they might as well just push you off the roof then."

"But that's like four seconds of terror. And the pain wouldn't last if you died from it."

"I don't know what I'm supposed to say to Lin about how you're doing." Alex says.

"I've been having a lot of coffee." Yet I'm still always tired.

"Tell him that she's addicted." Amber says.

"But include the fact that adding sugar and cream can help me gain weight."

"Not healthily." Amber says.

"Shut up." I say, taking another sip.

"And you never add it."

"I add truvia."

"That's not sugar."

"It tastes better."

"You're different." Alex comments.

"I'm happier." I smile. "And caffeinated." He takes the coffee out of my hand.

"Lin hates you drinking coffee."

"I'll sleep right through this."

"I thought you liked having a job."

"I do but I can't make myself stay awake."

"You can try."

"She'll drop dead asleep in two seconds." Amber says.

"Hey. Four seconds." I defend myself.

"Just tell me what to say to Lin."

"Whatever you'd like. If I tell you what to say, he's getting no more than if he just asked me. Also, don't you have to, I don't know, conduct and do your job."

"Right." He turns around.

"Wait, Alex. Coffee."

"No."

"Alex, you don't want to be around when she stops drinking that after this week." Peanut says, jumping up. I'll actually crash like it's a brick wall.

"Fine. Make this your last cup." He hands it to me.

"Yay."