Thirty-nine

"Lin, is everyone okay. Why are we here?" Jazzy looks over at Vanessa in Sebastian. "Who's hurt? What's happened." People basically flood into the room. They had been out to dinner together. I was going to invite Kelsey until I saw her laying on the floor, almost lifeless. I believed that she was lifeless.

"It's Kelsey, isn't it?" Pippa says. "You went to invite her." Anthony, Carleigh, Emmy, Sydney, Ariana, Daveed, and Leslie have come in now. None of them stayed for dinner. They all came right away. I nod.

"She drank and took some pills. A lot. Of both. And then slit her wrist." I somehow get out of my mouth. I watch their eyes grow wide but no one says anything. Carleigh rushes around the corner into the other hall. I hurry after her along with Pippa. No one else is as close to her as Carleigh. Not even me.

"I should have seen it coming." She says when she see's me. "I should have said something. To anyone."

"She hid it."

"I've seen her five times since she quit." She says. "I knew she was sad but- but how would she be able to pull this off if I had payed more attention?"

"It's not your fault." I try to convince her.

"I just want her to be okay."

"Me too."
-
I stand when the doctor walks into the hall along with some others. We're all eager to hear the news and praying that it's good.

"After the amount of damage that Kelsey did to herself, she technically should be dead. We barely understand it, but she's awake." The room is silent but I am so much more then relieved. "She took a month of two types of medicine each, drank about the most vodka that her body could hold without throwing up, and cut her wrist to the bone. It's quite a miracle."

"Any brain damage?"

"Nothing is apparent yet." My smile grows. "I've never seen anything like it."

"Can I see her?"

"Yes, but I have to warn you that she just woke up and she isn't in the best state right now, though she is lucid."

"That's okay."

"Two people only." I look at Carleigh who comes over next to me. He leads is down the corridors and into a very small room.

"Hey, Kelsey." I say softly and quietly. She stares at me, her eyes dead. She knows I found her. I can tell by the way she looks at me. "How are you feeling?" She sighs as we sit down next to her.

"Like crap." In a hospital gown, I can continue to see just how small she is. It's not okay. "I'm sorry." She says, softly.

"When did you decide this?"

"Lin." Carleigh whisper-yells. Kelsey stares at her hands. It only takes a minute for her to get really tired and her head to fall the other way. It seems best that she just rests. But I fear that forever more, the second I see Kelsey close her eyes, even just blinking, I'm going to see her on the bathroom floor, almost dead.
-
A/N- happy 4th if you live in the US