Thirty-one

I roll out of bed on Thursday morning, hitting the ground.

"Shit."

"You okay?" I hear Pippa say from the other side of the door.

"Yeah."

"Can I come in?"she doesn't wait for an answer. The door unlocks and she walks in, having used my spare key I let her use. I apparently lost the privilege of keeping people out of here when I tried to kill myself.

"Oh my god." I hear her say.

"I missed my feet." I say, laughing. She and Jazzy rush over and help me up. "Did you take the other route?"

"Yes. I don't know why you said to but we did."

"Good." I say, now standing and brudhing myself off.

"Oh. Ouch." She says, turning my head so she can see a fading bruise but she seems to think it's new.

"Did that leave a mark?" I ask, pretending it's from the fall.

"Yeah. But it's already blue."

"Oh. Odd." I say, walking to the bathroom.

"There's iced tea in the fridge if you want some." I call out to them.

"Thanks." She says back. I pick my clothes up off the counter of the bathroom and shut the door, changing in shirt, leggings, and Hamilton sweater before putting on my chocker again. I'm a little sick of it but what are you gonna do? He was here again last night and left one in the same spot. I put on a some makeup, covering the bruise and walk back out. I'll cover my temple at the theater.

"Well, at least you slept a little late." Jazzy says. "What time did you go to bed?" I shrug.

"Is the tea any good?" She nods.

"Really great. Thanks." I smile and walk back to make my bed as they talk. I listen and then join them. After a few minutes of talking, I put on my jacket and we head to the theater. The show goes pretty well. It is when I get home that I mind. I tried to say 'no' to him. He didn't like that. I'm getting tired of this.
-
"That's a lot of cream." I say as she puts the container of creams in the counter.

"Yep. So if you want some, they're here." I laugh.

"Thanks, but I'm good."

"Ready for physical therapy?" I nod, putting my backpack on my shoulder. Carleigh and I walk to the building with coffee keeping our hands warm. When I get inside, I hang up my sweater so I'm in a shirt and go to my usual table, scrolling through twitter as our physical therapist, Anna, greets Carleigh and they talk about her tight spots and previous minor injuries and such. I watch Carleigh suffer a massage to her calf.

"Tight muscles, huh?" Asks the guy next to me. I look back at him. He's well groomed, somewhat tall, and has very dark brown hair.

"She's a dancer." He nods, understanding. "What are you here for?" I ask.

"Old shoulder injury from skiing."

"Oh, where do you ski?"

"Ow!" Carleigh says. I glance over.

"I'm good."

"Good."

"New Hampshire." He answers.

"Oh. I've never been but my friend Jessica moved here from there when she was ten and she liked it."

"Yeah. It's pretty nice." He talks about it a little until someone comes to work with him. Anna checks the mobility in my arms since that tends to get tight. She tells me to lay back and checks my ankles and then tortures me as she tortured Carleigh but I try not to make an sound. I wimped a few times.

"Hm."

"What?"

"You're muscles are really tight. You dance outside of the show?"

"Sometimes."

"You have to take it easy, Kelsey. You perform eight times a week. You can dance outside of it but not so much. Your body will burn out. Broadway shows will do that to you." I nod as she walks back to Carleigh. She's very nice but she gets upset because I don't always listen to her. She says that I abuse my body because I force it to do so much and nourish it so little.

"So you're on broadway." The guy, who I discovered that his name was Jackson, says.

"Yes."

"What show?"

"Hamilton. Do you know of it."

"Do I? My little sister has drilled it into my head. She quotes it every chance she gets." I laugh.

"How old is she?"

"Sixteen. I'll have to tell her that I met you."

"You two are free to go." Anna says. "Take it easy." I wave goodbye and leave. It was a short session but we have a show.

"I'm proud of you."

"For what?" I ask.

"Not getting his number because you already have a boyfriend." I laugh.

"I wasn't into him. And I'm not a cheater." Which is annoying because I was into him and I can't date until Nick is out of my life again. I want him out. I don't know if he will be any time soon.