Ninety-five

"Ow." I say as he pulls my sweater off my arm. Amber runs her hand through my hair. The sleeve sends pain through my arm as he brings it down to my wrist. How did I even put this on. I guess I was really out of it.

"You made it." She says. Her eyes glide to my arm and she darts her eyes away, looking sick.

"Okay. Right to the hospital." The casts nurse says. He can help with immediate and smaller injuries but being hit by a skidding totaled car is not one of them.

"What the hell happened?" Amber asks.

"I'll see you after the show." Sam says. "You'll be okay." I nod, not believing her. The nurse helps me up and brings me outside, getting some shocked looks on the way.

"Oh my god." Amber says, stepping out behind her. "Every ambulance is down the road."

"I don't need an ambulance." I don't know why exactly but I take off. My feet lead me straight to the accident. Amber keeps up, almost bumping into me when I stop where I line in being set up.

"You shouldn't be here." Someone says to Amber and Sam who just came after us.

"Were you involved in this?" She asks.

Anyone here would probably know. Sam does too. My arm is bloody, twisted, and I want to scream. The little girl has been removed from the car and is being put in a body bag next to her parents. A little boy is being put on a stretcher, far too small for it.

A driver is being pulled out of his car and the other is standing there, bloody.

"Those cars are destroyed." Amber says.

"Come on. Let's get you to the hospital. I have no clue how I didn't see this." She says, moving my hair so she can see my neck. Her hand has blood on it when she pulls it back. She hands me off to the nurse and tells me to text her as soon as I can.
-
"Three weeks cast, two weeks wrapped and I'll be back."

"Wow. That's amazing." Amber says.

"I got lucky."

"I'm so sorry about it all. Maybe you're okay but you shouldn't have had to witness that crash."

"That crash shouldn't have happened at all. Anyways, the boy will be okay. His grandma is taking care of him. And he won't remember the crash when he grows up."

"Of course you would care so much about tne little boy."

"Well, it was horrible. It shouldn't have happened to him."

"I agree."

"How was the show?"

"Terrifying. We mentioned the crash after the show. And you."

"That explains social media."

"Lin knows."

"I know."

"Did you talk to him."

"Not yet. Other than that, how's it going? Like rehearsal. How did that go?"

"Alright." I listen for a little while and they don't make me talk about the crash or anything which is good. I fall asleep but wake up moments later.

"We need to get you to sleep through some amount of noise. I literally said one thing to Amber and you woke up." Candace says. I laugh.

"I'm going home. I have to walk and feed Lucy."

"You're gonna walk her at night and alone."

"Not far. The dogs gotta pee."

"Be careful, Kels."

"Yeah, the last thing I need right now is- another issue." I say, standing.

"What were you gonna say?"

"You know; My background. Let's move on."

"No. I don't know your background. I know nothing about it."

"You know what I did before theater."

"Nope. I know there is a small amount of speculation that you were a prostitute."

"So you know that. I know for a fact that you know I was a stripper. You know about my dad."

"So he was the only thing in your childhood?"

"I grew up in foster care, Amber. I don't have much to say about it. I was just passed around a lot."

"And before your mom died?"

"I'm not talking about this."

"What was bad before she died? Why can't you talk about that. Was there nothing happy in your childhood?"

"Stop it!" I snap. She already looks sorry about what she asked. I know she didn't mean it but I am angry. So very angry. "I'm a fucking mess. So I suggest that you just stay away from me and my pathetic background."

"I wasn't trying to make you upset. I wanna help."

"God." I put my hand to my head. "Thank you. All of you. Thanks. But I will never talk to you again if you bring it up one more time."

"Alright." She reluctantly agrees.

"Thanks. Night."