Twenty-three

Kelsey's POV
"Thanks for watching Seb, Kelsey." Vanessa says, walking around the couch.

"No problem. I enjoy it." She sits down next to me, putting Sebastian down near his toys. I try to hide rubbing my upper arm that still hurts but she notices.

"How are you doing?"

"Okay. Thanks again for letting me stay for a while."

"It's really no issue and you didn't have to do the dishes earlier."

"I really don't mind." She smiles.

"Well, thanks."

"No problem." I look at Sebastian who plays with hid trains, intensely focused, adding wound effects and mumbling words. I smile. I love kids.

"Kids are the funniest." She nods.

"As much of a pain they are at times, it's very fun- oh. I'm sorry."

"For what?" I ask.

"Um, Lin told me last night what you said yesterday and a while back about pregnancy." I bite my lip.

"Who says that I can't adopt someday." She smiles.

"No one. That sounds like a great idea." The door swings open and Lin drops his back next to the door.

"Where's homeboy?" He says before shutting the door and rushing to him. He's sucking on his fingers.

"How was your day, Seb?"

"Kelshey's fun."

"You had fun?" He nods.

"Thanks, Kelshey." I laugh.

"What do you guys want for dinner?" Vanessa says, standing up. Dinner is hard again, especially because he glances at me a lot.

It's eleven at night when there are several knocks on the door.

"Hello?" I hear Lin say.

"Hi, Do you happen to know where Kelsey Emmott is?" I sit up straight, closing my book.

"Nicholas?"

Lin's POV
"Kelsey, Hi." Says the man in his twenties, looking shocked when he see's Kelsey. She stands up and walks around the couch to him.

"What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. It's been a while." She doesn't look amused as much as he seems to be trying to charm her with an innocent smile and warmth of some type of old relation. She takes his wrist.

"Kelsey." I warn.

"It's fine." She says before disappearing in the hallway. I stand by the door, giving Vanessa a confused look but not able to make out any word or tone until I hear-

"I didn't mean to." He says.

"That makes no sense." It sounds like Kelsey replies.

"Just let it go. Come on. I'll help you out, again."

"Keep your voice down-" the rest of what he says is too mumbled.

"Well, what are you doing here if you didn't need help?" Again, I don't here her response. "What makes you think that they want to fucking help you?"

"I never said that." I can finally make out words again. "I don't know why they're helping but I haven't found another reason yet."

"Are you an idiot?" He yells.

"Volume." She warns.

"What else does he want then sex?"

"You're the only sick bastard still in my life involved with me for sex."

"You lost your job? Veronica told me that you called her-" she somehow quiets his voice. "-back to working at the strip club."

"I never said I was going back there."

"Then are you going to try to kill yourself again? Kelsey!" I open up the door and she isn't in the hallway.

"Who do you think you are?" (Leaving me alone wi- sorry)

"Who are you? What do you know about her?" He asks.

"Enough to give her the chance to recover. Don't intervene."

"Recover for what? So that she can go back to singing and dancing?" He turns around and walks down the stairs, calling her name. I close the door and go to the counter, dialing her number. Something on the table vibrates and Vanessa and I both look at Kelsey's phone.

"Dammit."

"She'll be okay, Lin." Vanessa says. "You have to remember that she isn't a little girl no matter how obligated we feel to treat her as one."

"She's staying here so we can make sure that she doesn't harm herself any more and can begin recovering. Clearly, she can't, alone at eleven at night in New York."

"We have to wait and see."
-
A/N- why does my punctuation actually suck?
Also, I never mention Veronica again. She's just an old friend that keeps in touch but doesn't get involved.