Nine

"Hey. I'm sorry, babe."

"It's fine. I'm okay now." I say, staring at the opposite wall. He takes a sharp breath and flops down on the other side of my small bed. It takes a long time for me to fall asleep but I finally do. I hate it when my eyes open, though. I go into the kitchen and start making tea when he walks out.

"Gross. Why don't you make coffee?" We've been dating for three weeks. I tried to break up with him after two and a half but he told me I was drunk and "put me in my place."

"I don't have anything to make it with." Randy grabs my wrist and pushes it against the stove. I yank it away but I'm slowed by his strength.

"You said you wouldn't do that."

"I say a lot if things."

"Can you please leave. I have to go to rehearsal in an hour." I says, grabbing some ice from the tray.

"No." He hangs around until I leave and finally leaves with me. He goes home, though, at least. I'd rather be with Jake and he cheated on me.
-
"I don't understand."

"Just step on the scale, Kelsey." I look at Lin who leans against the wall, watching. "Step on the scale or you're fired." Tommy says. Not mean but strictly. He knows what will get me to do what he asked. I step up on it, in my socks and wait for a number to appear. He picks up a piece of paper as I step off.

"You're twelve pounds lower then this says and this was two months ago. Can you explain that?" I look down at my feet. "I'm going to need you to gain some of that back or you can't perform, alright?" I nod. He rubs my upper back. "We just want you healthy." His eyes fall to my wrist. "What happened there?"

"Minor burn. I was just being an idiot and touched the stove by accident."

"Take care of that. Go ti the nurse if you need help with that. I'll see you around." He walks past me and out of the room. I look up at Lin.

"I'm going to therapy?"

"And a doctor if you don't gain weight."

"I'm not underweight."

"Yes, you are. Don't worry. If you go to therapy and you gain some weight, your job is secure. And you can still talk to any of us, okay?" I nod and thank him, putting on my shoes and leaving the room. I get miked and I head to the dressing room again and start putting on make up. I sit down and check my email. Then I check my one from when I was in high school since I occasionally get messages from old friends and some I even keep in touch with. I see one from a teacher.

Hi Kelsey, it's Mrs.Gray. I bought tickets to go see Hamilton last week with my husband and when I looked the cast up, I saw your name! I can't wait to see you perform! I'm so proud! Good luck.

Mrs.Gray was my ninth and senior year history teacher and Mr.Gray, her husband, was my chorus teacher, the one who got me out if two abusive homes between ninth and tenth grade. One because of my bruises on my arms when he helped with the musical when I was fifteen, and before that when I was in ninth grade and I told him that I was sexually abused which was one of the hardest, scariest, and most uncomfortable moment of my life. But he'd seen my cuts and he had helped me before.

Mrs. Gray was a nice teacher and I was really happy to get her a second time. They were in their late twenties and early thirties and only strict when the class acted up but if we were fine, they were kind.

Someones actually seeing me perform that I used to know. Well, as far as I know. It's kind of nice, even if it's because they had already gotten tickets, but everyone else had people come and see them. I guess this is the closest I'll get, other then my cousin. I get dressed and pull two strands of hair out of my face, and spray it with hairspray. Then I put on my shoes and warm up with the others. Betsy looks at my arm. I guess it looks a little weird because it was hard to cover up but nothing can really be seen unless you're real close. The show begins and goes pretty well. Tommy seems pretty happy about it and we get less notes then usual. It doesn't matter how good you do or how good the musical is. There's always more notes. I change into a sweater, leggings, and boots, put my stuff away, and walk out to the seats. I see two people near the front, talking. I walk over to them and Mr.Gray notices me right away. Some other cast members are out here and some people that haven't left yet.

"Kelsey. You did great."

"Thanks but you taught me everything I needed."

"Well, I am very proud of you. I told some of the faulty and we are all very impressed. Even Ms.Nevis." Ugh. I hated her. She was way too strict. "How long have you been here?"

"Two months."

"What did you do before that?" Asks, Mrs.Gray.

"I worked at some restaurants and bartended and stuff like that. It wasn't great but it was a living. I could have done worse."

"Well, now you're here and doing great. I knew you had talent, but wow." Mr.Gray said, looking genuine.

"Thank you."

"Maybe you could come to a class at the school. I have many students that love this musical."

"Yeah, that'd be fun."

"They look up to you, Kelsey." He turns serious. "I remember you at fifteen, sitting in a chair in the music room saying that you were never going to go anywhere. Look how far you came. And I'm sure that you will go even farther."

"Well, if I'm planning ahead, I'm in the wrong business."

"You remembered that. Do you follow it?"

"In the musical world, yes. Outside of it, I think pretty far ahead."

"That's not a bad thing. Just enjoy the present though. You're in the biggest musical in years. You're successful."

"Thank you, Mr.Gray."

"Can I email you about visiting the school?"

"Anytime."

"Kelsey?" Neil says. "Oh sorry. Um, Tommy wants to ask you a question when your done."

"Okay, thank you." I turn back to them. "I should see what he wants. I'll see you around. Bye."

"Bye." They say, smiling.
-
A/N- "Can anybody see, is anybody waving back at me?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"