Seventy-nine

"You. Me. Talk. Now." Carleigh says, taking my hand and tearing me away from my schoolwork in the greenroom.

"What?" I ask when we get in the hall. "And don't say that your concerned about something. I will jump off that fire escape if you do."

"That's not funny!"

"I was being facetious."

"You're going to Chicago. You're leaving us. I'm scared. Is scared better than concerned?"

"I'm not leaving yet."

"And what do I do if I need you?"

"You have lots of people here and you can call or FaceTime or text or snapchat or message me."

"It's not the same. You'll be living in Chicago. Eight hundred miles."

"I don't wanna think about it."

"Neither do I."

"Coffee in the morning?"

"Juice?"

"Sure."

"Put carbs in her." Lin says, passing us on his way in. "I'm begging you." I laugh and we go back in.
-
"Owwwww!" I whine as Jess pulls me to my feet.

"You need a massage."

"I need this to be over."

"Well, you're gonna have a week off and some of it with me!"

"In how long from now."

"Less time then you think." Jessica is going to take part in an event in Georgia and I've saved some money so I'm taking a bus down there with her and then a plane up to Chicago. When she finally gets me going, I somehow make my way from the studio to the theater where I spend the next four hours moving teens around the stage, reviewing choreography, and taking notes. Opening night can not come fast enough. But when it does, I am reminded that it means that I will be leaving New York soon.
-
The alarm buzzes and I jump before turning it off, rubbing my eyes, and standing up.

"You alright?" Lin says, running in as I kneel to pick up my book that feel off when I jumped.

"Why are you up?"

"I don't trust that you won't leave without saying goodbye." I laugh and grab my clothes off the back of the chair.

"I wouldn't do that." I slip past him. "Again." I go into the bathroom, putting on leggings, a stripped top, and an unzipped sweater since I'm cold. After putting on some basic makeup, brushing my teeth, and putting my hair up in a messy bun, not on purpose, I decide on glasses because I'm tired and want to be able to see today. Not that my eyes are that bad. Some days I just get annoyed with it, though.

"Eggs?"

"Yes, please." I say, gratefully. I've gained a few pounds and a little muscle. My doctor recommends that I gain more but I honestly move too much to get to where he would prefer. I could eat more, but I put myself through enough already.

"Sebs gonna miss you."

"I'll miss him." I say as he hands me him.

"What about me?"

"Nah. Just Seb." He rolls his eyes.

"You'll be crying in a half hour."

"I will." I say, stroking Sebs hair. Vanessa joins us for breakfast and I finish getting ready after it.

"Stop thanking me!" Lin finally says a few minutes before Jess arrives. We stand near the door, Seb in his chair and Vanessa giving him his own breakfast.

"Sorry. But seriously. Thanks for everything-"

"Kelsey."

"Okay."

"One small sorta superficial thing." Vanessa says. "You look good." I laugh, thrown off. "Don't go below this weight. Please. This should be the minimum and even if you don't think it, it's much more attractive."

"And the next guy won't have to worry so much when he takes your clothes-"

"Lin!" I cut him off.

"I'm gonna miss you, bean."

"That name still hasn't worn off." He laughs as I give Vanessa a hug, already feeling like crying. My eyes are probably red and definitely wet. I give Seb a kiss and then Lin squeezes me tight.

"Oh, Why is Chicago so far?"

"I'll be back."

"I love you."

"Love you too." We hear a buzz and let go as Vanessa goes to get it.

"Have a good time and call and text and visit and be careful. If you need anything, just contact me. Please. Don't hesitate. And if you need me to tell anyone over there anything-"

"Lin."

"What?"

"I'm twenty."

"Right. You grew up so fast."

"I was nineteen when you met me." He rolls his eyes.

"Did I install a bad habit in this household?"

"Yes. Go make me proud." He sends me off with Jess and I keep my head down as we walk.

"Awe, Kelsey." She says when we sit down on the buss.

"What?" I ask, trying to see her without looking directly at her.

"You're crying." I go to deny it but I am. She lets me lean my head on her shoulder as we start moving.