Seventy-three

It's not her job. She doesn't have to do it. She doesn't have to calm Seb down. And it makes sense for me to be there for him over her when she'll be more of a sister or aunt to him. He wont remember her caring for him. He won't remember when Kelsey would here him cry in the night sometimes and sing softly to him until he fell back asleep.

But I know she she wouldn't stop because of that. And I know she is home. And she sleeps through nothing. The other day, I cracked open her door and it make the slightest squeak. The volume of a mouse. Her eyes were open in a moment. I asked her how she'd woken from that but she shut her eyes and waited for me to leave. I settle Seb down and when he's asleep, I go to check on Kelsey since It's odd that she isn't awake.

I push the door open to see a made bed. She never had much in here but it still feels emptier. She must have stayed over Jacksons or something. Again.

I return to my room and to my sleep.
-
Carleigh withapoof: has kelsey answered anyone?!

Pippa isanemoji: nope. Broke our snapchat streak

Jazzy staaaaayyy: she doesn't have any streaks. Was it like five days?

Pippa isanemoji: three

Anthony diestwice: no answer.

Oak istall: nothing.

Sasha hasawsomehair: no answer

Daveed hatespierone: no answer

Neil notarmstrong: she didn't pick up.

Ariana flipsalot: nothing.

Lin spinsalot: did we all just call her at once?

Carleigh withapoof: tell me if you hear anything.

Lin spinsalot: she wasn't here last night but I'll check

Carleigh withapoof: I'll ask Jessica.

I go to her room and find that she still isn't there. But she left a note on her bed that I hadn't seen in the dark. Her small neat handwriting is slightly sloppier than usual and looks a little like cursive.

I had to go. Thanks so much for everything! I would definitely be dead without you and I'll never thank you enough. I swear I'm okay and but I can't tell you where I'm going. I'm not missing though so please don't call the police or anything. I'm so sorry, please don't worry. I don't mean to make you and i really hope you don't. I'll text you in a few days.
Sincerely, Kelsey

I look around, wondering how it had taken me so long to find out that she left. Her books are staked on the desk and there is a box at the bottom of her closet. Ironic.

It's a cardboard box with folded clothing and her other possessions. She didn't take a lot with her. There are also some dance shoes but her dance bag is missing. She must have put what she needed in it instead.

"Shit, Kelsey. Where are you?" After one call to Vanessa that she tells me she will return in a minute, and three failed calls to Kelsey, Vanessa calls me back and tells me to stop dialing her number if she said she won't answer. She says that she's responsible and that we should trust that she will text us like she said she will.

No one wants to wait for that. They voice it at first too but we do have to realize that she can handle herself at this point. But why did she leave?

The next two weeks feel long. I try to distract myself but Sebastian won't seem to let me.

"Kelshey." He always says. I apologize and tell her she isn't here every time but he misses her. He doesn't have the added worry like we do. Though I think I miss her more than I worry. I have faith in her by now. Faith that she would go to the police if something were seriously wrong.

Kelsey: hi, i have four percent battery

Lin: oh my god, are you okay?

Kelsey: yep

Lin: where are you? Are you coming back?

Kelsey: im fine lin/dad

Lin: we miss you

Kelsey: miss u too. I really have to go. I have to make a call with my remaining battery. Im sorry.

I sigh. At least she's okay. Right now. I hope.