Seventy-four

Kelseys POV :p
I'm so fucking cold. I am. So cold. It's spring. It's not even the end of April but night is cold and the rain doesn't help. I don't even know how I got here. It's been two weeks and I need to talk to Lin. It's all over. I need shelter. I need to talk to him.

I sometimes think he doesn't worry but I get a ton of calls from the whole cast and I feel bad. I can't see them yet. Not if I can't get myself to climb the stairs.

"Thanks." I manage to say to the lady that let me in.

"It looked like you forgot your key."

"I-i'm f-friends with A-amber. Upstairs."

"Oh, was she not home? You could have used the speaker box if she is. Go get warm and dry. Have a good night."

"You t-too." I take deep breath, controlling myself. I need to stop stuttering. I know I'll look awful but if I shiver less and control my voice, it has to be a little better. I really should have gotten under a roof an hour ago.

I'm dressed in black zip up sweater and shorts. I kinda threw my other clothes in the water. My bag is light, only a few items I've had the last two and a half weeks. My hair is wet and limp and my skin pale and sick. I haven't eaten all day. But if I don't go here, where will I go tonight? Like I said, I need to talk to Lin.

And I can't get on a train to New York tonight. I doubt I can even afford it. My knock is light and no one answers. So a minute later, I go a little louder. The only way I get my fist to hit it more than once is my shivering. The door opens a minute later and he face goes from laughing at something happening inside to serious/worried/confused.

"Kelsey? Oh my god, come in."

"N-no, I'm drenched." She pulls me in anyways and tells Samantha to get a towel.

"How did you get here? What were you doing out there?"

"I-I left n-new York a few w-weeks ago." I need to get control of my goddamn voice. Sam returns as Amber helps me with my sweater.

"Candace, can you get some crackers and water please." She says when she sees my sad excuse of a body in the tank top underneath. The sweater is replaced by a towel. It's warm and dry. I change in the bathroom into a warm sweater and leggings. Amber waits in the hall and helps me to the couch.

"S-sorry I disturbed your night. I didn't know w-where to go."

"No, Kelsey, your fine. Don't worry about it." Candace says, passing me the crackers and water.

"I need to c-call Lin."

"We'll call him. You can talk to him in the morning. Okay?" She asks, plugging my dead phone into the wall. I watch whatever shoe they are watching with them and fall asleep not long after finishing my crackers when she unplugs my phone and goes to call Lin.
-
"Morning, Kelsey."

"Morning." I meekly reply, pushing myself up to sitting. Every muscle in me resists and I almost scream with the small action. She grabs my arm and helps me sit. I notice Sam asleep next to me and Candace in the chair. They must have fallen asleep here too. Amber must have just woken up.

"Did I wake you?"

"Anything wakes me." I say. She laughs and I try to but it hurts. I reach for my water but my hands shake so much that I can't.

"What if you eat first?" Then you won't shake as much." I don't disagree, knowing that I'm weak as hell. She gets up and grabs some more crackers. "I don't have much. I hope these are fine."

"They are, thanks."

"One of us will run to the coffee shop once at least two of us are up. I talked to Lin last night and he's glad your okay. I didn't exactly tell him that you aren't." I laugh, sending pain through my stomach. "He told me about your letter. I told him that you we let you sleep because you were tired and we didn't know anything."

"Are you okay with not knowing anything?"

"I want to know some things." I glance at Sam when she stirs and I hope that she's asleep. Candace must be.

"My dad was released from jail but he was put back in. And then let out because it wasn't him that killed the girl. So he found me. Threatened everyone close to me. I lead him away from them but he caught up to me."

"Is he out there?"

"He was arrested yesterday."

"For-" she trails off, not wanting to ask but hoping that I'll tell.

"He was never a good person and he isn't now. I don't like to talk about it." I say, quietly. Almost in a whisper. I look back ho as Amber glances behind me for a slit second. "Morning, Sam." I say.

"How'd you know that I woke up?"

"I saw Amber look at you."

"How?" I shrug.

"I'm weird."

"I wanna go get coffee and a muffin." Samantha says.

"Get us some?" Amber asks.

"Course. What muffin do you like?" She asks me.

"Um- I- I don't know." I say, honestly not sure. I rarely ate it ever and if so, I never even thought about types. It's been a long time.

"I'll guess." She leaves and returns as we watch tv.