Fifty

"Hey." Lin whispers as light flood into my eyes.

"Hey?" I say, seeing him sitting at the desk, facing me. I'm sore from the show yesterday and I'm on top of the cover using only my blanket. For some reason I like it over the covers.

"How's your wrist?"

"Alright." I lie. It's throbbing, stinging, and aching. But that's my version of alright.

"You know, you don't have to deal with the pain like you try to. Just wake one of us up."

"I'm confused."

"Vanessa gave you some medicine last night."

"Oh. I thought that was part of a dream. That makes sense now." He laughs.

"She didn't know how much you weigh and you weren't speaking. She wanted me to make sure that you were alright when you woke up so I'm just answering emails in here. I hope that's fine."

"It is."

"Was three of these okay?" He asks, passing me the box.

"Yep. How's everyones throats?"

"Jazzy and Neil have theirs back but the other two don't. Good thing there's no show today." I nod. "Oh can you babysit Wednesday night?"

"Sure." I say, folding the blanket.

"Thanks. And you're sleeping at Pippa's today with Jazzy. Renée had to be with her kids. They'll be here in three hours. Bring-" he opens the drawer. "This gift card."

"You searched the room." I say.

"And you're surprised?"

"No." I say as he shuts the drawer.

"I have a video call in an hour. It should be short but I'll be in my office if you need anything until like 9:30." I check my phone. It's eight. "I'm trusting that you will eat."

"I will."

"I'm serious Kels."

"Okay." He leaves and I get dressed in jeans and a sweater, put my hair in a ponytail, and do the dishes to feel useful. I wash up in the bathroom and brush my face. I also clean up some spilt cheerios that Lin probably didn't see and Vanessa didn't have time for before work. I do some schoolwork until Lin is done, luckily having put it away and now eating a granola bar while doing my taxes. I sorta despise adulthood and the beginning of the month being combined.

Mine aren't that hard though, not owning anything, and not working at the studio anymore. I'm now allowed to use it when others aren't as a 'thank you for teaching all these classes for the last several years.' And a 'please do again if we really need you.'

"That's all you're eating? Okay, if you lived at your apartment, that would make sense." He says, looking over my shoulder.

"Rude." He laughs.

"I'm joking."

"Yeah. I'm actually paying my taxes. Proud?"

"Oh, my little Kelsey's all grown up." I laugh, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah. I even keep a checkbook." I say like it's amazing.

"This?" I reach for it but he picks it up. "Well, you're responsible. And you don't buy anything." He says, putting it back down. I wrap up what I've done within the next half hour and drink a coke, drawing.

"Pack a bag. You have a half hour. Here's an extra."

"Thanks." I say as he passes me a bag. I put on a shirt and leggings and stuff along with a sweater. The bag isn't big at all and still half empty by the time I have my toothbrush and paste and shit in there. Oh well. I grab the card and my shoes.

"Hey, Peggy." Phillipa says as we walk down the stairs.

"Hey Maria." Jazzy says.

"How's your throat?"

"Much better."

"Am I gonna lose my voice being near you?"

"Possibly."

"I'm immune." Phillipa says happily. Her voice was gone a few shows ago and her swing went on.

I kinda space out the whole way there. And when we are actually there.

"Kelsey." Phillipa shakes me. I look up from the floor.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah." She looks unconvinced but leads me over to Jazzy anyways.

"You're not the most enthusiastic person about shopping."

"I'm really not."

"Does that mean we can decide for you?" I shrug.

"Why not? I think I just made a mistake."

"We'll keep it simple." She says as I hand over the gift card.

"Wow, you really do hate shopping." Phillipa says, five minutes later when I'm staring at the ground again.

"Sorry. I keep spacing out." She laughs. "That's alright. Jazzy is in line. She's speedy. We got a text from Lin telling us to make you eat. So I'm gonna shove food down your throat if you don't eat something now." I laugh as she leads me out of the store. The store isn't fancy, which I'm happy about because my clothing style is simple and cheap.

"Oh my god, Kelsey." Pippa says. I jump at the sound of her voice. Why do I keep spacing out?" She looks terrified. I'm so sick of being the baby. "Sit down."

"I'm fine."

"Kelsey, sit down, right now." She demands. I go to turn to see where a chair is but I don't see anything.