4) Royal Truth

AN: Music for this Chapter (on repeat): Spies by Coldplay, The Russian Spy and I by The Hunters

FOUR

o

-Moscow, Russia-

Twenty-three hours later, Sydney in disguise, entered the tall office building where Cuvee's office was located.

"Mountaineer, this is Base Camp... any sign of Cuvee?" Vaughn asked Sydney breathless through her Com.

"Negative, Base Camp nothing yet." She exhaled softly.

"Mountaineer, this is Boy Scout, the security system should be by-passed in fifty-six seconds and counting."

"Standby," Sydney began counting the seconds in her head as she waited in the elevator. 'Go!' She heard in her earpiece and began working with the locking mechanism on the elevators security system that only allowed access to the fourteenth floor by code. "Got it!" Sydney whispered as the elevator doors slid open and she was standing in the lobby of Cuvee's office... no one there. She looked down the hall to see a woman walking away from her towards another set of doors and took the opportunity to slip into Cuvee's office.

"You have ninety seconds, Mountaineer, before the override on the alarm system will sound and give away your location."

"Roger, standby." Sydney said scanning the room for the safe. A large abstract painting hung on the wall behind Cuvee's desk, she moved the painting to the side and could see the safe's outline but no way of opening it. 'Must be a switch somewhere,' She thought rapidly feeling around the bookshelf, finding nothing. She sat behind the desk feeling under the ledge for the switch, still nothing. Sticking her head under the desk she saw a small brown button. "Bingo!" She exclaimed pressing the button. To her surprise the big grey filing cabinet in the desk flew open. Her eyes scanned the contents. Files. 'Old KGB files' Sydney took notice of the worn appearance of the folders. She began reading the names, written in Cyrillic, searching for anything to do with the Rambaldi pages.

Reznikov, T.,

Gruskovskya, R.,

Derervko, I.,

Grigoriko...

'Wait a minute!' Sydney's hand flew back to the thick file her hand had just brushed by, reading the name again. 'Derevko, I.'

"Oh my God!" She said out loud, pulling the file from the drawer.

"What is it, Mountaineer?" Vaughn's voice came through her earpiece, "Did you find them?"

"No... not yet." Sydney barely breathed as opened the file and saw the picture of a very young, Irina Derevko staring back at her.

"What is it then?" Vaughn asked trying to keep the worry out of his voice.

"My mother's KGB file..." Sydney transfixed on the photo in front of her.

"Mountaineer, we already have that file... leave it and proceed with the mission. I repeat. DO NOT REMOVE THAT FILE! You have 38 seconds left!" Vaughn knew she was getting distracted with anything to do with her mother and lacking focus on the mission putting her in more danger.