50) A Horrible News

AN: Music for this Chapter (on repeat): Love Me Like You Do By Ellie Goulding, All I've Ever Needed by Paul McDonald and Nikki Reed.

FIFTY

o

Irina was talking on the phone with a member of her Russian cabinet, discussing the upcoming Coronation and government transition and was just finishing putting the silverware on the table when they heard the doorbell ring.

"I'll get it." Jack smiled from across the table seeing she was on the phone, he made his way towards their door. Irina smiled in appreciation at his retreating form. He looked damn sexy in her favorite color. Black dress pants, and a lightweight black sweater…something she had picked out for him and couldn't wait to tear off.

"Hello and Welcome!" Jack smiled warmly at the cute couple before him, a small chuckle inside of him at entertaining guests with Irina as a couple for the first time in over twenty years.

"Hello Mr. Bristow." Dr. Ryan Peterson greeted Jack as he ushered his wife inside and handed him a bottle of champagne. "Thank you for having us." He smiled nervously, clasping his hands and fidgeting somewhat nervously, spotting Irina standing at the French doors talking on the phone in Russian and returned the little wave she gave to them with a big smile.

"It's our pleasure to have you. Irina and I have been looking forward to having you over for sometime." Jack closed the door behind them. "And please call me Jack." He smiled at the both of them.

"Ok…Jack," Ryan smiled, clasping his wife's hand, "I'd like to introduce you to my wife, Ann."

The woman was staring wide-eyed at Irina since the moment she entered the house, not believing what she was really seeing.

"Ann, it's a pleasure to meet you." Jack kissed her cheek with a smile, "Irina has told me many times that you were her favorite student. I know she's excited to talk with you."

That statement seemed to light up the woman's eyes as she turned her attention back to her mentor who had her back to them, arms folded over her chest, looking outside.

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Mr. Bristow. I just can't believe that's her; that I'm standing here looking at her, in her house." She gaped and the men laughed softly. "And she's speaking in Russian!" That fact seemed to make it all a reality for her…that her former Professor was in fact a Russian spy.

"Yes, she is." Jack chuckled at the woman's awe, "Let's open this and have a drink while we wait for her to finish her business call." He ushered them into the kitchen, giving Irina her space, knowing the call was important.

"You have a beautiful home!" Ann smiled widely, taking in her beautiful surroundings.

"Thank you." Jack smiled, popping the bottle of champagne and pouring it into four flutes.

"You have two black eyes!" Ann suddenly noticed the pale green on Jack's face and he laughed softly looking down. "What happened?"

"Yes, a job hazard I'm afraid." Jack chuckled and handed them each a flute.

"Ohhh." Ann's eyes went wide, remembering who this man worked for. "I must tell you, I've read all about your lives and the incredibly beautiful love story between the two of you…absolutely fascinating." She smiled widely taking a seat at the kitchen island, "I couldn't believe it when Ryan came home and told me that he had taken care of Professor Bristow. You could have knocked me over with a feather! Finding out she was still alive…and then her story! She's absolutely amazing!"