40) Sark's Emotional Breakdown

AN: Music for this chapter (on repeat): A Small Measure of Peace by Hans Zimmer from The Last Samurai Soundtrack.

FORTY

o

Sark had been sitting, tucked away in Jack Bristow's office for the better part of the day going over every piece of intel and information they'd acquired on Sloane, Zamir, and Cuvee over the last year he'd been in custody with Analysts and Agents bringing in stacks of folders, and boxes of Intel. So far, he hadn't seen anything that the CIA or Irina may have missed.

Irina had dropped by numerous times to check in with him and even Jack but Sydney had stayed away, only making brief eye contact before averting her eyes and moving out of his line of sight. He sighed, putting down another file of useless Intel and picked up the next in the box. His eyes narrowed in curiosity reading its label.

'Derevko, Irina. Kashmir Imprisonment 1981-1983' The subtitle read, 'Face recognition copy 113'

None of this made any sense. Obviously the file was mixed in by accident? Or miss label, he wouldn't put it past the CIA but his mind couldn't get past Irina's name and supposed imprisonment in Kashmir for 2 years.

In the seventeen years he'd known her, she'd never once mentioned being a prisoner anywhere and certainly not in Kashmir. He'd set up the nuclear plan with Cuvee in Kashmir, the KGBs' former gulag where the held and interrogated suspected traitors.

Sark's brain rewound and sped up again 'KGB, interrogated suspected traitors.' He couldn't swallow the massive dry lump in his throat. Irina imprisoned for treason? That couldn't be right. It had to be wrong, if it were true, why would she go back there for the nukes? None of this was making sense. He flipped open the file and retrieved the disk shrouded with fat, stamped red words reading 'Confidential,' 'Authorized Eyes Only,' and 'Classified.'

Wasn't everything in the CIA stamped with these ridiculous warnings? Now, he was only more determined to see what was on this disk. He slid the disk into DVD drive of Jack's computer and waited for it to boot up, sitting back against the comfy leather chair.

*A Small Measure of Peace*

The sounds of the old Soviet anthem filled the office and Sark scrambled to turn down the volume. He saw the earphones lying beside the monitor and plugged them in. The last thing he wanted was for someone to hear it and come in to see he was watching something he shouldn't. His heart stopped in his chest as they drug a beaten woman, he knew as Irina, up the aisle of the prison in Kashmir.

'She had been a prisoner.' He could barely breathe as Gerard Cuvee circled her like a vulture, enjoying the show. None of this was making any sense. How could she work with a man whom had her imprisoned, tortured and beaten? He watched with rapt fascination, unable to tear his eyes away as he listened to her crimes being spat at her. Her crime had been she'd fallen in love with the enemy, had his child and then refused to return to Russia, killing Jack and returning with Sydney. Sark couldn't believe what he was hearing or seeing as they tortured Irina.

"She was pregnant!" He gasped quietly to no one but himself and felt tears stinging his eyes as he watched Cuvee beat the child inside her to death and then ordered his guards to keep kicking until he was sure that the 'bastard spawn' was gone. He felt the bile rising in his throat and the cotton taste in his mouth signaling he was about to vomit as he watched them host her up on to the cross, bleeding and unconscious as the prison went wild; her blood dripping onto the faces of Jack and Sydney. He kept burping into his mouth but refused to let himself vomit.