56) You Came For Me

Music for this chapter: Rest Of My Life By Hans Zimmer.

FIFTY-SIX

o

"I know, Honey, and I'm sorry," Jack felt his eyes burning with tears seeing Sydney so upset and feeling his own heart clenching at the memory of Lena's condition when they'd found her, thinking about how much it had to have hurt his wife and daughter to watch Lena being tortured. "We can't take you up there right now. As soon as they are done with your foot I promise, we'll go together."

Sydney slumped back into her fluffy pillows in defeat, closing her eyes for a moment as more silent tears stained her cheeks and she sniffled. "I don't understand it. After everything…Mom goes down on the plane." She shook her head softly in disbelief.

"The doctor said he was surprised your mother didn't go unconscious earlier with her blood glucose levels as they are." Jack spoke honestly and quietly, having thought about the question before as well. "I think she was holding on…until she knew you were safe, Sydney." His eyes found hers with a soft smile, "I think her love for you is so powerful, she wouldn't allow her body to shut down, until she knew that you were safe...once she knew you were, she couldn't fight it anymore."

"I can't believe she was physically able to jump out of the helicopter and save me then, if she was almost comatose with her blood levels on top of her other injuries. To be able to hold onto the both of us like she did." Sydney shook her pounding head again softly in wonder and amazement at her mother's body, determination and most of all love.

"Your mother is extraordinary." Jack spoke softly with a small smile, marveling with his daughter at Irina. "As are you, Sydney. As much as I'd like to ring your neck for going after your mother without back up like you did, voluntarily walking into a trap. I am proud of your reasons." He admitted proudly, also realizing that it was likely Irina's will to hold on long enough to keep Sydney safe, that likely saved Irina's life. Without Sydney being there, Irina may have been dead before they found them.

Sydney was a little stunned by Jack's admission.

"Dad, I had to. When he called, it was either follow his instructions or take the chance of losing what might have been the only lead we had on Mom and Lena. I knew I was walking into trap and I only hoped that you guys would catch on quickly but I couldn't let Mom go through that alone, not again." Her eyes filled with more tears and her voice quivered, "And I was given the chance to be there with her…so I went."

"I know, Sweetheart…" Jack clasped her one hand in the both of his, speaking softly with understanding as a nurse put a bandage over the cut on Sydney's forehead.

"Dad, how did you know where to find us?" Sydney asked quietly after a moment.

"Cuvee. To taunt me…and I suppose your mother if she knows...sent me a video file." His eyes found hers again speaking in the same hushed tones, "Mikhail recognized it to be Cuvee's office in Kashmir." He saw the moment of registration flash through Sydney's eyes.

"In the office?" Sydney whispered and swallowed hard, looking into her father's eyes with her own blurry ones, "When he made her chose between raping me…or her?"

"Yes." Jack nodded softly and they were both quiet again as Sydney averted her eyes and looked at the crisp white sheet covering her legs. "Sydney, did he ever?" Jack braved the tough question he knew he needed to ask, his heart pounding rapidly at the thought of Cuvee raping his daughter, too.