24) The Proposal

AN: Music for this chapter (on repeat): Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee, Happy Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon, Hunger By Ross Copperman, Beautiful by Snoop Dog, Try by Pink.

TWENTY-FOUR

o

"Mom," Sydney was standing in the living room with Lena who was crying and she comforted her.

"Tomorrow's your birthday. What would you like to do?" She smiled, looking up to catch a surprised Irina leaning back against Jack's chest on the couch as they watched their daughters.

"Well, I..." Irina furrowed her brow in thought, having celebrated every birthday since Kashmir, alone in her own solitude. Deciding this was the year of change, "I want to have a party." She smiled. "But not really a birthday party. I want to have a tree party. A Christmas Party nothing too big of course but," her enigmatic smile continued to grow with the idea, "I want to spend the day laughing and having fun. I want to cook and make cookies with you," She sat up, escaping Jack's embrace to excitedly hold Sydney's hand, "And listen to crazy Christmas music."

"Oh no," Jack grumbled, smiling on the inside at Irina's ability to bounce back.

"You'll listen to that Christmas music, Jack Bristow, and you'll like it!" Irina hit him with a pillow and laughed. "And I want you to invite Michael and Eric and Marshall. I owe them a debt of gratitude." She added solemnly and then looked to Jack and Sydney to see if it was okay.

"I think it sounds like a lot of fun!" Sydney smiled from ear to ear, the thought of spending time with her mother, like this again, almost too good to be true.

"Sounds good." Jack laid back lazily on the couch after an exhausting day propping his feet up on the coffee table.

"Oh this is going to be so much fun!" Irina turned and snuggled into him, her head on his chest, his arm around her shoulders.

*Holly Jolly Christmas*

Irina, Sydney, Jack and Lena had all gotten up at the crack of dawn to drive north to a little town of Filmore where they boarded the Santa Train.

The train took people out into the forest to cut down their own trees and then would serve hot chocolate and candy canes on the ride home as everyone sang Christmas carols. Sydney had always loved it as a little girl and if truth be told, so did Jack and Irina.