6) Why ?

AN: Music for this chapter (on repeat):Why by Annie Lennox, Shut-Up by The Black Eyed Peas, For Your Precious Loveby Jerry Butler.

SIX

o

Jack awoke groggy, his neck killing him. Slowly he opened his eyes and realized he was looking at the legs of the coffee table.

Immediately alarmed, he tried to sit up...a wave of dizziness hitting him and a sharp pain in his chest. He looked down and saw a blue feather...slowly he pulled it from his chest. "A tranquilizer dart," He sighed placing it on the coffee table. "I should have known."

The sun was shining brightly and he knew he was going to be late for work unless he got up and got ready. Slowly he pulled himself up and looked around the room. The lamp in the corner still on... He'd really blown it. She had been here, in his living room...proclaiming to be there to give him the 'truth' he'd spent twenty-one years trying to understand...and he shut her down...not wanting to hear her excuses... his need to belittle her after all the pain she caused taking precedent.

"Damn it!" He scolded himself climbing the stairs to his room to shower and change. He should have been able to control his emotions, not let her get to him. Whatever she had wanted to say, must have been important for her to risk coming back to the US...For coming to him after he'd just shot her. 'Why had he been so stupid? Why didn't he just 'shut-up' and listen to her?'

He took off his clothes and jumped in the shower, letting the water wash over him as he thought about the events of this previous night.

*Why*

Jack heard his radio alarm clock come on and stood motionless listening to the words of Annie Lennox's song, "Why?"

They seemed to be speaking directly to him.

'How many times to do I have to try tell you,

That I'm sorry for the things I've done...

But when I start to try to tell you,

That's when you have to tell me,

'Hey, this kind of trouble's only just begun.'

I tell myself too many times,

'Why don't you ever learn to keep your big mouth shut?'

That's why it hurts so bad to hear the words

That keep on falling from your mouth...

Falling from your mouth,

Tell me why...

Tell me why...

I may be mad.

I may be blind.

I may be viciously unkind,