Chapter 42: Strange Places

We continued walking through the town until we came to a building unlike all the other ones. It was bigger and nicer than all the others. Also was without the vampire repellent.

"Who lives here?" I asked.

"The mayor." Tigger responded.

"Why doesn't he have the protection the others have?"

"I don't know." He responded.

I had a bad feeling about this. The mayor of all people should have protection away from vampires. Something's not right.

Before I could protest our entrance the boys were already dragging me in with them. The house was dark as if no one was home. We all looked around confused. If everyone is in there homes not working, where's the mayor?

All of the sudden huge cage fell from the ceiling and trapped us in.

"Now that you're trapped, what are you doing here?" A voice asked. "Give me a reason I shouldn't kill you bloodsuckers right now!"

The lights turned on and a man in a black suit and a red tie stood a safe distance away from the cage. He had a stake in his hand along with; garlic, crosses, and holy water hung off his belt.

Dante nugged me forward. "Explain to him, tell him what you are and how you're different from Tigger and I."

I nodded and turned to the man in the suit. "Um... My name's Marie and I'm a slayer, but-"

"I can tell you're a vampire, don't lie to me!" He yelled.

"I'm both! I was a slayer and then I was turned."

"Why should I believe you?"

"I don't know, after what happened to your town, I couldn't give you a good reason." I told him.

He stood there staring at me for a moment before he walked away into a room behind him. He came back with a huge key and I was relieved, he believed me.

"I want to talk to you out here, but only you. If they try to get our I'll kill everyone." He told me.

I nodded.

He unlocked the door and I walked out, the door locking behind me.

"How many humans have you killed?" He asked.

"What?"

"Humans die because of vampires, how many have died because of you?" He repeated getting more and more hostile.

"Only a witch because he sided with the evil vampires." I answered panicking, not sure of what he's going to do.

"You're lying." He told me grabbing his holy water out. "You're telling me that the only human you've killed was evil?!"

"Yes." I answered cautiously.

"I don't believe you." He said splashing the holy water on me.

I screamed out expecting it to hurt, fearing my life, but it didn't. I looked back up at him confused.

"Don't you dare hurt her again!!" Dante screamed.

"It didn't hurt her." The suited man announced. "Did it Marie?"

I was so distracted by the fact that the holy water didn't burn kill me that I was dumbstruck.

"Marie?" Dante asked worriedly.

"I'm fine. The holy water didn't affect me." I said still confused.

"How is that possible?" Tigger asked.