Chapter 43: Not So Friendly

When we reached the center of the town all eyes were on us. They all looked at us as if we just walked up to the cool kids table in high school. We continued walking anyway to a huge building marked city hall. I hesitated as we reached the door. Do I knock or just walk in?

"Hello?" I said as I walked through the door, followed by the three humans.

"How did you get in?!" A man in a muscle tank top and black short shaggy hair.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Don't play dumb! You're a vampire!" He called back.

"I haven't killed a human who wasn't supernatural. You see I am a vampire, but also a slayer." I told him.

"Why are you here?" He asked.

I told the witch about our journey and how we needed witches. Basically giving him the same speech I gave to the mayor of the last town, hoping some witches would help.

"I'm sure there are a few witches here who would love to help you. I will bring you to them." He said walking away and motioning for us to follow him.

"So what's your name?"

"Nathaniel, yours?"

"Marie."

"Wait Marie? Who turned you into a slayer?" Nathaniel asked.

"A witch named Trollhella, why?"

Nathaniel stared at me for a long time as if he knew me this whole time and just now placed how he knew me.

"What?" I asked.

"I've just heard a lot about you. I'm Trollhella's brother." He informed me.

"Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. Your sister and I were really close. If it helps at all I killed the witch responsible for her death." I told him.

"Yeah it was very difficult at first, but I'm dealing." He told me. "Also you can count me in to help you."

"Thanks."

Nathaniel lead us into a garden full of picnic tables where at least half the town was. Just like when we were on us.

"You brought a vampire in?!" One asked outraged.

"How'd she get through the barrier?!"

Shout after shout peopled yelled in anger and betrayal.

"This is Marie the vampire who when she was human Trollhella made a slayer!" Nathaniel announced.

I thought this would bring them to my side, but it only added fuel to the fire.

"She is responsible!" People shouted.

"Let's make her pay!"

Quickly the witches got closer and closer. I turned to look at Nathaniel for help, but he was with the angry mob.

"Nathaniel?" I questioned.

"You are the reason my sister is dead!" He yelled. "Someone has to pay!"

"I told you I killed the man responsible!" I argued.

"BUT WHY WAS SHE THERE?!"

I realized he lead me here on purpose. He wanted me dead. All these witches blamed me for Trollhella's death and I don't think there is anything I can say to change their minds. That doesn't mean I won't try.

"Trollhella was my friend. We fought side by side in a war, Good vs, Evil. We both fought for the good of mankind and she died at the hands of another witch." I explained.