five

"Your dad called earlier, said to call him back when you get the chance,"

Audelia hummed in response to Nathan's comment from her spot on the couch, flipping through the channels on her screen that couldn't seem to stop talking about Stark Industries and the failure that they believed Tony was about to turn it into.

Nathan let out a sigh, throwing the dish towel over his shoulder as he left the kitchen, leaving the unfinished lunch on the counter as he moved into the living room. Resting against the wall across from his fiance on the couch, he watched her as her eyes never left the screen.

"Two days. Two days and you still aren't speaking to me?" he questioned incredulously. 

"I came home," Deli replied, shrugging her shoulders. "It's on you to apologize to me."

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I have anything to-"

"You asked me to abandon my best friend, Nathan," Deli cut in, her voice raised. She muted the TV, finally looking up at her fiance. "The one person who has been there for me since I was in diapers. The man who brought me into his company the second it was handed over to him because he knew it was the only way that a woman could gain respect in the industry. You asked me to abandon him, Nathan, after he just got back from being kidnapped by terrorists!"

"You're so god damn in love with Tony Stark that you can't seem to get your head out of his ass and realize that he's about to ruin both of you!"

Audelia swallowed the lump in her throat, her eyes casting down to her feet as they curled up underneath of her. Nathan closed his eyes, hanging his head as he realized what he had just said to his own fiance.

Moving as slowly and cautiously as possible, Nathan moved over to the couch, sitting on the exact opposite end. His eyes stayed trained on his fiance, but she refused to look up at him.

"Deli...I'm sorry, okay? For the other day, for what I just said, for all of it," Nathan looked down at his hands. "I was wrong, and I shouldn't have said any of it to you. You know that I've always been...jealous of how close you and Tony are, but that doesn't give me any right to say what I said. I'm just trying to look out for you."

"And I told you that I am a grown woman who is capable of deciding her own future," Deli shot back, finally looking up at him with tears stinging in her eyes. "I trust Tony with my life, and if he doesn't want to make weapons anymore then him and I will use our brains to do something else. I have never abandoned him, and for you to ask me to is selfish."

"I know, I know it is," Nathan sighed, his hand reaching across the couch to hold onto Deli's as he moved in closer. "I'm sorry. I messed up. You are the smartest woman I have ever met, and I don't want all of the work you've put into these weapons for his company to go to waste."

"All the work we've done is going to waste if it's killing Americans," Deli gripped onto her fiance's hand. "I didn't agree with it at first, but Tony saw the destruction. His name might be on the side of all of those weapons, but the blueprints for all of them came from me. Tony and I design these weapons to help save people, but if they're falling into the wrong hands then there's no other choice. We're done with the weapons. I don't know what we'll do now, but I'll be damned if another person dies because of something I made. I just need you to trust me."