thirty-eight

"It burns you to come so close

"It burns you to come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is,"

Audelia Motter let her eyes trail over the screens before her, the sight of the God of Mischief staring the camera directly in the face. The piercing look in his eyes sent a shiver down the woman's spine as she adjusted herself in the doorway where she was currently leaning.

Removing him from her mind for just a split second, Deli produced her phone from her back pocket, clicking the home button as she smiled down her her home screen. Little Aurora, smiling and laughing as Tony held her in his arms, a smile lighting up his own face as he looked down at her. It was a sight she never wanted to forget.

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?"

Deli looked over at Bruce Banner, laughing lightly as she reached out her hand to him.

"He definitely does. It's good to meet you, Doctor Banner,"

"You as well, Ms. Motter,"

"Loki's gonna drag this out," Steve cut in, sending them a look as he went into full soldier mode, sitting rigid at the meeting table. "So, Thor, what's his play?"

"He has an army called the Chitauri," the god explained to the group sitting around the table. "They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract.""

"An army? From outer space?" Steve questioned, taking a look around the group. His eyes landed on Audelia as she shrugged.

"It's not the weirdest thing you'll hear for sure," her eyes trailed back to the guard before them. "So that means he's building another portal, that's the big plan. Would explain what he needs Erik Selvig for."

"Selvig?"

"He's an astrophysicist," Bruce explained to the god who shook his head.

"He's a close friend,"

"Loki's got him under some sort of spell," Natasha chimed in for the first time, her eyes trailing down to the table at her next words. "Along with one of her own."

Natasha wasn't a very open person, but Deli liked to think that she had gotten under her skin a little and become her friend. She hadn't personally met Agent Barton, yet, but she knew how much he meant to Natasha, even if she didn't know the full story. If the roles were reversed and it was Deli losing Tony...she was sure she'd feel even worse.

"I wanna know why Loki let us take him. He's not leading an army from here,"

"Steve's got a point," Audelia chimed in as she looked around the room. "It was too easy. Loki let us waltz right in and barely put up a fight when Tony and I got to Germany. We didn't capture him, he let us take him. He's got a bigger plan and we need to figure out what that is."