eighty-two

"You're 92 years old, this isn't a healthy decision-"

"So what? Steve is practically the same age-"

"He's a super soldier, dad-"

"I'm always active, the nurses at the home say I'm the healthiest there-"

"You are 92, dad, this-"

"She was my GODDAMN best friend, Audelia!" the shout caused the pair to pause. Not once, in her entire life, did Audelia remember her father yelling at her like that. Guilt clouded her eyes as Benjamin Motter turned away from her, adjusting his suit in the mirror as Deli could see the tears in his eyes. "I will help carry her down that aisle and honor her like she deserves to be honored, even if it kills me."

Audelia Motter didn't like funerals, not since her mother's. She never knew what to say, what to feel, the world felt like it stopped moving at them.

The choir sang in hushed voices, their voices carrying out over the church in London, England. Audelia watched the casket roll by her, Steve Rogers and Benjamin Motter standing side by side in the front, tears rolling down both of their cheeks. They placed her casket down, Steve taking his seat between Deli and Sam while Benjamin sat on the other-side of his daughter.

The priest came forward, reciting the same lines you always hear at a funeral. Deli took Steve's hand in one, and her father's in her other and held them tight.

"I would like to invite one of Ms. Carter's oldest friends, Mr. Benjamin Motter to say a few words,"

Ben gave his daughter's hand a pat, before letting go and slowly making his way to the podium, looking out at the people gathered around.

"If anyone knew way back then how much of an impact Peggy would have on the world, maybe Hodge would've thought twice about hitting on her," the comment drew laughs from those who knew her best, knowing the story. "Margaret Carter was the epitome of class, elegance, and pure badassery. She could dazzle you with a dress and heels one minute, and have you in a terrifying headlock the next. All in all, Margaret was one of my best friends, and I already miss her more than anyone will ever know. But I don't want to mourn her, I want to celebrate her," Benjamin looked down to his daughter, as if speaking directly to her. "She told me once that sometimes doing what needed to be done, would mean hurting those you love. That right and wrong were two sides of the same coin, it just depends who's looking at it. In the end, you have an obligation to do what is right, no matter what the cost, to ensure that the innocent aren't proven guilty and that evil always meets it's end. And I don't know about you, but that's the most badass thing I've ever been told."

Benjamin made his way down from the podium, taking his daughter's hand once more.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words,"

Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD . . . but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy," the blonde woman said, sending a smile down toward Steve. "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move . . . it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say 'No, you move',"

◼ ◼ ◼

Steve Rogers stood in the aisle way of the church, staring at the old war photograph of Peggy still surrounded by flowers. Audelia stood at his side, smiling as she looked on at the photo too.

"She meant so much to dad, to Howard, to you," Deli looked up at Steve with a soft smile. "I'm sorry."

"She died peacefully, I'm thankful," Steve told her, giving her a smile back. "Thank you for being here, even if it was to bring your dad."

"I wasn't letting a 92 year old fly to London on his own," the pair shared a laugh as she bumped shoulders with her friend. "I came to be here for you too, Steve."

The sound of heels on the floor caught their attention as they turned. Natasha Romanoff gave them both a smile, falling into place at Audelia's side as they looked to Steve.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive, Ben too. I was just lucky to have her,"

"She had you back too," Natasha told him. Tension hung in the air, both women knowing what question came next.

"Who else signed?"

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision. Clint says he's retired, Wanda is undecided,"

Steve nodded his head, looking up at Audelia.

"You?"

"I signed," she finally told him after a moment. "I didn't sign because I agree, Steve, I need you to know that. Nat and I...we both don't like this-"

"But staying together is more important than how we stay together," Natasha finished for her friend. "We're off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet."

"But what are we giving up to stay together?" both women fell silent as Steve shook his head. "I'm sorry, to both of you. But I can't sign it."

"We know," they spoke together, giving him encouraging smiles as he looked to Nat.

"I know why she's here, but why are you here?"

"I...I didn't want you to be alone,"

Steve held out an arm, bringing Natasha into a tight hug as Deli stood off to the side, admiring the pair.

"Should I get on the plane without you, Nat? I feel like I should leave the star-crossed lovers alone during this tender moment-"

"Shut up and get in here,"

Audelia laughed at Natasha's comment, placing herself under Steve's other arm as he hugged his two best friends as tight as possible, none of them knowing what the future held after the accords were signed.

◼ ◼ ◼

Listen I know I was excited for Civil War, but now I just really wanna get through this and Homecoming because INFINITY WAR! You have no idea what is coming

Also, shout out to whenisgamora3456 for combing through this book to find me that part I wrote that would tell me Benjamin's exact age, you are THE BEST!