one hundred thirteen

The sound of the sink running in the kitchen was a soothing sound to Audelia Stark, her mind scattered in a thousand different places

The sound of the sink running in the kitchen was a soothing sound to Audelia Stark, her mind scattered in a thousand different places. She was sat in the living room, the sun having set hours before as she sat in silence, hologram pad in her lap as she moved through the thousand possibilities of time travel.

She hadn't discussed anything with Tony yet, she was afraid to. They both knew how much there was to lose by going down this road, but Audelia knew they had to. They had to try, for everything that was lose because they lost.

A small knock on the wall caught Audelia's attention as she put the pad down, turning to see Aurora standing in the doorframe. Deli smiled lightly, turning completely to look at her daughter.

"I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be asleep right now,"

"Same with Morgan, but dad just put her back to bed," Rora replied, looking at her mother. "Can you come put me to bed?"

"Aren't you a little old for that, honey?" Deli teased the young girl, before seeing the look in her daughter's eyes. She seemed scared, seemed on edge, and Deli only nodded her head. "Of course I can. Let's go."

A small smile crossed Aurora's face as she took her mom's hand, all but dragging her up the stairs toward her bedroom. Audelia took a glance into Morgan's room, shutting the door quietly as Aurora ran off to her own room, making sure that her youngest was prepared to get enough sleep. Lord knows she wanted to sleep right now as well.

Creaking open the bedroom door, Aurora had already tucked herself into bed, laying on her side as looking off toward her window that looked out on the lake. Audelia smiled as she placed herself next to her, stroking her hair softly as they sat together in silence.

"Do you miss them?"

Oh, how Audelia wanted to lie. She was just a little girl, she didn't need to worry about these things. But her little girl wasn't so little anymore, and she was far more advanced than any other girl her age. She deserved the truth.

"Everyday," she told her softly, looking out on the water just beyond the window as they sat together.

"3.2 billion people have been gone, and that's just on this planet," Aurora muttered as she flipped onto her back, looking up at her mother as she stroked her hair softly. "They don't deserve to be gone."

"No honey, they don't. But we..." Audelia bit her lip as she looked at her daughter, favoring telling her the truth. "We lost. We failed them."

Aurora looked up at her mother, just watching her for a moment in silence.

"Dad, Steve, Nattie...they have a plan, don't they?" Audelia smiled at her bright daughter, nodding her head. "You have to bring them back. You have to try. Grandpa would want you to try."

"I know he would, and I am trying. I just don't know if Tony is..." Audelia sighed, placing a kiss on her daughter's head before standing up, moving toward the doorframe. "Try not to dwell on it, okay? I'm...I'm working on it, Rora. Get some rest, I love you."