ninety-eight

"You really think he's going to accept?"

"Oh hell no, but it's worth a shot,"

Audelia and Tony stood together with locked arms, waiting as they watched Happy come walking up the hallway of the compound with Peter in tow. The kid looked around at the compound around him, amazed at the sight.

"How was the drive up, kid?" Deli asked as they approached Peter, walking alongside him. Happy stepped back, walking behind them as they spoke to the kid.

"It was good," Peter told them both.

Tony gave Peter a playful yet awkward punch in the shoulder before throwing an arm around him.

"Sorry I took your suit. I mean, you had it coming. Actually, it turns out it was the perfect sort of tough-love moment that you needed, right? To urge you on, right? Wouldn't you think? Don't you think?"

"Yeah, yeah I guess,"

"Just go with it," Deli told him with a smile as Tony continued.

"You screwed the pooch hard. Big time. But then you did the right thing. Took the dog to the free clinic, you raised the hybrid puppies..." Deli shot the man a look. "All right, not my best analogy. I was wrong about you. I think, with a little more mentoring, you could be a real asset to the team."

"To the...to the team?"

The came to a stop before the conference room, Deli and Tony turning to stand in front of the kid.

"There's about fifty reporters behind that door. Real ones, not bloggers," Audelia told Peter.

Tony pressed a button on his phone, the wall behind them folding out and showcasing Peter's brand new, even more high-tech suit hanging behind them. The kid looked on in astonishment as he stepped closer to it.

"When you're ready... Why don't you try that on? And I'll introduce the world to the newest official member of the Avengers: Spider-Man,"

Deli looked on with a smile as she watched Peter survery the suit, his eyes gleaming as he looked at it.

"So, after the press conference, Happy will show you to your room, your new quarters. Where's he between? I think you're next to Vision. Yeah, he's not very big on doors...or walls, but you'll fit right in,"

Peter gave the suit one last glance, sparing one at Deli, before turning to look at Tony.

"Thank you, Mr. Stark. But I'm good,"

"Y-you're good? What does that mean, you're good?"

"Well, I mean, I'm... I'd rather just stay on the ground for a little while," he looked at Audelia as he said the familiar words, the woman shooting him a fond smile. "Friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Somebody's got to look out for the little guy, right?"