forty-eight

DECEMBER 20127 MONTHS AFTER NEW YORK

DECEMBER 2012
7 MONTHS AFTER NEW YORK

"I can't believe the little Christmas baby is going to turn one in a few days,"

"It's just another reminder that I went into labor at Christmas dinner,"

Pepper Potts and Audelia Motter shared a laugh as they sat together on the couch of Tony Stark's living room. Well, she shouldn't say it was his couch, as Deli and her sweet little Aurora had been living with him for the six months after overseeing preparations on the New York tower redo.

Little Aurora Motter was crawling around on the floor, babbling nonsense as she played with the little Iron Man and Imperial actions figures that Tony had absolutely insisted on. Not that she was complaining, they were adorable as hell.

"I ordered her present," Pepper told her friend, taking a sip of her glass of wine. "Will probably be here closer to New Year's."

"And I told you not to get her anything. It's bad enough that Steve sent her a gift,"

"Let me guess: a tiny little Captain America shield?"

"Spot on," Audelia couldn't even help the smile on her lips, though, at the thought of the boxed up shield sitting upstairs at the moment. "A little much for Mr. Self Righteous but it's cute. Natasha sent over the cutest little onesie that looks just like her suit."

"When I was out to lunch with Nathan the other day he was going on and on about how much he planned to spoil her for her first,"

The name brought a frown to Audelia's lips as she stared down at her child, the perfect mix of her and Nathan. She knew that co-parenting wasn't going to be easy, but nothing could've prepared her for how the last seven months had been.

She knew it would be awkward between the pair for awhile, Audelia so drastically in love with Tony and moving in with him immediately. She could tell that it stung Nathan to know that, but she swore it was just as friends at the moment...even if she repeatedly slept in Tony's bed. But that was due to the constant nightmares he lived through every single time he closed his eyes that he refused to ever talk about.

They were trying, that much was clear. Nathan and Audelia wanted this to work, wanted to still be in one another's lives, but it was hard sometimes when a situation felt so familiar and then she'd remember that she didn't wear his ring anymore.

But that was seven months ago, and Audelia was beginning to realize that it was time to move on from that part of her life and go after what she wanted.

"I'm sure he is,"

"Any plans on what you're giving Tony?"

"Actually, yes," her cheeks reddened as she looked over at the red head beside her. "I'm thinking maybe it's time I tell him the stars are aligning."