thirty-six

"Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state?"

Loki, God of Mischief, stood tall over the crowd of hostages in Germany. The smile on his face was sinister as he waved the glowing scepter in his hand around in the air, looking over the terrified faces of all those kneeling before him.

"It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power, for identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel,"

The words resonated within the crowd of hostages. Many on the outskirts of the group tried to find a safe way to flee, but saw no exit as Loki had already demonstrated that he could multiply and be in multiple places at once. Many were crying, hanging onto those around them for dear life.

There was one man, an older man, who knelt in the middle of the group. He slowly rose to his feet, determination written on his face as he turned to face Loki.

"Not to men like you,"

Loki offered another sinister smile.

"There are no men like me,"

"There are always men like you,"

The god let out another laugh, the stone of the scepter glowing brighter as he pointed it toward the old man.

"Look to your elder, people. Let him be an example,"

The blast from the scepter flew out toward the man as he closed his eyes, accepting his fate, but it never came. The blast had been thrown back at Loki, knocking him off his feet as the man opened his eyes to see the red, white, and blue suit standing before him.

Steve Rogers, best known as Captain America, stood tall in front of the man, taking confident steps toward the god now lying on the ground. He had just been recruited to the team less than a few hours ago by Nick Fury, already in Germany facing off against the threat that brought him in in the first place.

"You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing,"

"The soldier," Loki sneered, grabbing hold of his scepter as he rose to his feet. "The man out of time."

"I'm not the one who's out of time,"

The quinjet lfew in from above, positioning itself to fire at Loki if he made a move. Natasha Romanoff and one of SHIELD's best pilot's sat in the front seat, manning the jet.

"Loki, drop the weapon and stand down," Natasha's voice boomed over the speakers of the jet as the hostages ran for cover.

The god let out a cry, firing a beam of energy from the scepter at the jet as Steve Rogers ran forward, throwing his shield as it bounced off of Loki's armor, coming right back to rest on his arm as he landed a punch on Loki's face. The god whipped around with the scepter, Steve using his shield to block two of the shots before one collided with his stomach, sending him flying back as his back hit the ground hard.