eighty-five

"Didn't think the next time I saw you, you'd be the future Mrs

"Didn't think the next time I saw you, you'd be the future Mrs. Stark. Though, I guess that spot has only ever been reserved for you, hasn't it?"

The comment drew a short laugh through Audelia's lips as Nathan Porter took his place next to her, observing the room around them as people prepared for the interrogation of James Barnes.

"It was supposed to be Mrs. Porter, remember,"

"Yeah, but we both know it was always going to be Stark," Deli turned, smiling slightly as she moved herself into his outstretched arms, giving him a hug. "I'm happy for you, Deli. I really am. You and Tony deserve this, you're two halves of the same whole."

"I'm happy for you and Pepper, too, you know..." the comments trailed off as she looked up at him. "How's Aurora?"

Nathan positioned himself against the wall behind him, sharing a pleasant nod with Tony across the room as he conversed with Natasha.

"She's good, as always. Enjoys being with Pepper. But I have to be honest, Deli...she misses her mom,"

The comment drew a sigh from the woman as she leaned back against the wall beside Nathan, her eyes watching Tony just as they always did.

"I miss her. I'm being a horrible mother, I should be there with her more than I am. I feel like I'm never there,"

"She understands what you're doing, both you and Tony," Nathan told her. "She misses you both terribly, but she gets it. She's proud of Iron Man and Imperial, they're her idols. You have a job to do, Audelia. It's important that you do it, especially right now."

Audelia wished terribly that Nathan's comment would ease her mind, but it didn't. It only brought her more guilt.

"What are you doing here, exactly?" she switched gears on the conversation. "Shouldn't you be at home with Pepper and Aurora, not here?"

"I signed the Accords too, remember," Nate reminded the woman beside him. "That means they can call me in whenever they need me. Want me to do an evaluation on Barnes after Theo Broussard finishes his."

"But you're a surgeon?"

"Minor experience in psychiatry back in college, they just need a reputable source to support Broussard's findings afterward," the hum that Audelia let off brought his attention to her. He placed his hand on Audelia's shoulder, squeezing it. "Relax. Steve filled me in briefly. I'm...I'm with you guys. Everything is going to work out."

"I really hope so,"

As the interrogation began, Audelia's nerves skyrocketed.

She stood beside her fiance, her hand wrapped in Tony's as he played with the engagement ring that now sat on her finger, claiming her as his forever. He knew it was sudden and rash of him to propose when he did, but he had almost lost her. That, coupled on the glaringly obvious fact that she was on edge about something, pushed him to do it then. He didn't regret his choice one bit, though.