forty-two

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket...guess he never did get you to sign them,"

Audelia Motter swallowed the lump in her throat, looking up just in time to see Nick Fury throw the blood stained Captain America training cards onto the table before them. She quickly averted her eyes and wiped her tears.

It was only her, Tony, and Steve sat around the table. Natasha was tending to Agent Barton, while Thor and Dr. Banner were no where to be found. Loki was gone, as well, the scepter along with him.

"We're dead in the air. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor...I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye...maybe I had that coming,"

Tony Stark reached his hand over, taking Audelia's hand in his own as she squeezed onto him for dear life. Steve and Tony watched as Director Fury walked around the table, but Audelia never took her eyes from the trading cards.

"Yes, we were going to build an arsenal using the tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark and Motter know of this. It was called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, so they could fight the battles that we never could."

Nick Fury placed his hands on the back of Audelia's chair, staring down at her head.

"Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea...in heroes,"

Audelia ripped her hand from Tony's, throwing her chair back as Fury took a step back. Him, Tony, Steve, and Maria Hill watched as she hastily stalked out of the room, wiping at her under eyes and disappearing down a hallway.

Tony let out a sigh, rising from his own seat and walking toward the other hallway until Steve turned in his chair to speak to him.

"You're not going to go after her? You're just going to leave her like that?"

"Trust me, Cap, what she needs is space," Tony shot back, turning back to the hallway before him.

"No, what she needs is you,"

The comment stopped Tony for just another second before he shook his head, disappearing down the hallway. Steve Rogers' clenched his jaw, shooting up out of his chair and stalking off down the hallway Audelia had disappeared down.

It was an empty hallway, all of the SHIELD agents currently working on repairs and trying to track down Loki and the tesseract once again. Steve was on a mission, though, as he turned into one of the empty bedrooms.

Audelia set on the bed, toying with her fingers as she stared down at the ground. The soldier could hear the little sniffles leaving the woman.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay,"