nineteen

"Honestly, I thought both you and Tony were about to get assassinated by the government,"

Nathan Porter's comment drew a laugh out of Audelia. The woman tucked her phone in between her ear and her shoulder as she turned and locked her car behind her.

"You might not be wrong, I think Stern was ready to mount our heads on the walls like trophies," Deli turned around and began to walk up the driveway toward Tony Stark's Malibu home. "So I'm guessing you watched it happen live?"

"Oh yeah, every patient in the hospital was watching it and cheering you both on," there was shuffling on the other end of the phone for a second. "Some of the headlines were still claiming you as Imperial, even after you proved it wasn't you at the Expo opening."

"That's the media for you," Deli laughed off uncomfortably, trying to move on from the topic immediately. "You know, I was really hoping that coming home today my fiance would be waiting for me on the couch, but there was a surprising lack of Nathan Porter when I arrived."

A sigh escaped the man, flowing through the phone as Deli neared the front door of the house.

"I know. I'm sorry for that, Deli, I am. These new hours just have me all screwed up, I'm needed her more than usual. But hey, I already took the time off the Monaco so there won't be any issues there!"

"That's good to know," Deli shot back, a little smile on her lips as she walked into the Stark residence. "Okay, I'm at Tony's again. I'll see you at home, Nate."

"Alright. I love you, Deli,"

"...I love you, too,"

Pepper Potts had already placed herself on the living room couch, scrolling through the various emails that had already come her way in the time between landing in Malibu and arriving at the house.

Deli moved into the room, throwing her bag down on the armchair as she took a seat beside Pepper, raising an eyebrow at her as she furiously tapped away on the tablet.

"We just got home and you're already throwing yourself back into work?"

"He's driving me up a wall!" Pepper told her, frantically placing the tablet down in her lap as she turned to Deli. "I just got an email that he donated our entire modern art collection to the Boys Scouts of America! To the Boy Scouts! I spent over ten years curating all of that art-"

"Let's not forget that I helped," Deli chimed in, only to get ignored.

"-and he just donates it all! Stark Industries is in shambles at the moment but he doesn't seem to want to listen, nor care, about his own company and I feel as if it's just falling apart and I have to deal with it while he flies around in the sky with you at his side! Even you've been ignoring all your emails and I have to reply to them! God- he should just make you CEO!"