twenty-six

Audelia Motter wasn't sure what to do

Audelia Motter wasn't sure what to do. Her head said back away, but her heart kept her locked in place.

Her eyes stayed wide open while Tony's stayed closed, his armored hands gripping onto her forearms as his lips moved against her's, which stayed still as her brain tried to catch up with what was really happening right now.

The worst part? The spark that coursed through her at the simple touch of his skin against her's, the flutter in her stomach at the idea of such an intimate moment being shared between them both.

Tony's lips were pulled away from her's by Nathan Porter, as he stood between them both with a hand on the chest of Tony's suit.

"You know, Stark, I give you a lot of passes for all the shitty crap you do," Nathan sneered at him, jabbing his finger into the suit even though it did nothing to move the man. "But now you've crossed a line."

"Nathan," Audelia choked out as he turned to face her, realizing what had just transpired. "Nate, I can explain-"

"I saw the whole thing, Deli, you have nothing to explain," Nathan's gaze was soft as he looked at her, turning almost murderous as he turned back to face Tony. "The only one with anything to explain right now is the drunk asshat in front of me."

"Look at Nate the Great, walking in all high and mighty like he's the knight in shining armor," Tony's jabbed his own finger into Nathan's chest, the man flying backwards slightly at the force as Tony stumbled over his own two feet. "Don't come in here telling me that I have anything to explain. Why can't you see that you aren't good enough for her, huh? Audelia deserves the world, she deserves a hero."

"Oh, and you're the hero?" Nathan shot back, his voice raising as he got up in Tony's face. "Kissing an engaged woman while you're so drunk you'll probably barely remember this in the morning? Sober you is going to beat yourself up for doing that to Deli of all people. You might be a hero when you're in the armor, Tony, but don't pretend you're anything more outside of it."

"And what, you think you're some kind of hero?" Tony towered over Nathan in the suit while all Audelia could do was stand back with wide eyes as it all transpired in front of her. "You think because you're a doctor it makes you a hero? You save the people who get hurt, yeah, but I end the threats so no one else has to get hurt. You're boring, you're safe, you are everything Audelia doesn't want in a man. You're never going to be a hero, Nathan, accept it."

"You two, please, just stop!" Audelia pleaded, tears stinging her eyes at what was happening.

Nathan took two more steps, his eyes level with Tony's.

"All that, and yet Audelia still chose me, didn't she?"

A cry escaped the woman's lips as Tony shoved Nathan back out the door, the man without a suit stumbled backwards as he moved back through the party and away from Tony as he stalked toward him, the crowd of the party backing away as they watched it all unfold.