Book one: Chapter one

A clarification, Zuri is dark skinned🙃 but what we call a little fair in my country🙂 like the lady on the cover.

Zuri's POV

I bent down sliding my feet into my ugg moccasin, darting my eyes anxiously around to spot my bag. A call came through, it's Asal, "I'm so sorry I'll be there soon....yes I promise."

I'm late as hell for the church programme in which I'll be singing a solo. I'm not nervous, it's been something I've been doing for years and I greatly enjoy doing that not for the payment but the joy of singing gospel songs to other brethren. It brings extreme happiness into my heart ministering and seeing people meditate on the words of the song and exalt our Maker.

I rushed out of my bedroom which I share with my little sister into the living room. Mother and Wendy sat on our almost worn out couch. Mother was reading her Bible while Wendy crouched behind the center table doing her homework. "I'll see you guys tonight, I love you."

"May God be with you my dear." Mother kissed my cheeks and smiled at me, "I know you'll do great as always. I ruffled Wendy's hair in haste and made quickly for the door.

I'm lucky my church is a twenty minutes walk from my neighborhood and I wouldn't need to take a cab and spend money, I can add to my savings for my mother and Wendy's up keep.

My neighborhood isn't the most ideal place to grow up. It's below decent with outdated buildings dispersed over the large land. Secondhand stores line the streets and every now and then, angry cab drivers shout at those who have made stalls on their tables which have taken a greater part up to the road where cars ought to pass.

I shake my head and a lump forms in my throat. I breath in and out. I can't risk crying and messing my solo up. In times like this I look on the brighter side to life. I'm working in a multi million dollar automobile company as a secretary to the boss unlike most girls in this neighborhood who either work as waiters or strippers and I have quite an amount in my savings. I'm hoping for a raise soon so I can move my family out of this neighborhood to a more decent one with a better school for Wendy and a cozy feeling for my mum who broods over the loss of my father.

Ah that man, things were a lot easier and life was a lot comfortable than how it is now when he was around. He worked as a director for a consultancy firm for years before his retirement. The one who took over his office embezzled funds in my father's name and he was blamed for it when the firm found out. They striped us of all the moderate wealth dad acquired while working honestly, leaving us with nothing, not even a cent.

The pain and sorrow from our predicament killed him, leaving us alone with our mother who was also a retired local school teacher. Our poor financial situation left her with a mild stroke from time to time, rendering her incapable of working to fend for us. Thus, the responsibility of catering for our family fell upon me, being the eldest child and daughter of the family.

I had to enroll in a secretarial school to get a certificate that enabled me get the job I have. My dream of being a lawyer is on hold now, I'm working to save money for that. It's going to take years but I'm ready to wait, my passion for it can't wane within those years.

I arrived at the church at 8:35pm and God being so good, it was my turn to perform. I think because I was late my name was slotted for the last performer of the night.

I can't be more glad. Mr Michael the regular host for most of our church programmes announces to the congregation I'm the next but last performer for the night.

"Go Zuri and bless the congregation with your ministration!" My best friend Asal who's an Islamic convert shooed me away with a huge smile on her face, blowing kisses at me. The others around laughed at her actions. They were equally excited for my ministration.