Book two: Chapter fourteen

Zuri's POV

My eyes felt heavy like I had stayed up all night as I tried to open them. I opened them and slowly lifted my head but instantly gripped my neck, yelping in pain. "Ouch!" But not so loud so I don't wake Lui up or disturb the others.

I was in the hospital, I struggled to come here after those people took off the blindfolds from my eyes and abandoned me at an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Fia immediately rushed to me with Violeta behind her as they heard me squeal in pain and helped me get up from the floor to the couch. They stared at me in worry but didn't say anything, neither did I. I sat there and massaged my aching neck, the left side where I slept on the entire hours after getting here and making sure he was okay. It wasn't the only thing that was aching, my whole body was. I have no idea the number of hours was bound to the chair being unconscious.

Thank God the dress Fia designed for me was long sleeved and long else I would be flaunting the rope marks on me for all to see and ask me how I got it.

"Zuri." Fia called me faintly as if she was afraid of what she was going to say and placed her hand on my shoulder. She took my hand in hers with her free hand, "we know," she began, looking behind me at Violetta, "how much you care about Lui and would want to be here with him till he wakes up but you have to go back and take care of yourself for Lui—"

"I'm not going anywhere, I'm staying here with my baby till he wakes up."

"We know that is what you want, yeah we agree with you totally because that is what we also want to do but don't be stubborn and listen to us. You sat and slept on the floor for hours, you're still disheveled from yesterday and you're looking beyond exhausted."

"Zuri you're drained of all energy how can you be here and taking care of him looking half dead yourself? Lui wouldn't want that for you if he were to be awake and you know it. If you don't go home and get some rest, what will you do if you faint or worse something bad happens to you? Who will take care of Lui?"

"Yeah you have a point but I can't, I want to be here till he wakes up at least then I'll go home and take care of myself."

"Listen, go home, get some sleep and shower then come back here. That way you'll be revived to sit here for hours rather than sitting here tiredly and going home after he wakes up when that should be the time you have to sit by him, feed and take care of him."

"We're going to keep him company while you're home."

"Okay, I will but please, you two should make sure anyone who isn't family doesn't enter here and even when a doctor or nurse does, be sure to be around. I can't take any chances."

"That isn't a problem, we will definitely do that because we have our own suspicions some people here are shady. Whoever did this to him will for sure be around here, somewhere waiting to get the opportune time to finish the task they couldn't complete."

"I trust you two will do that." I said, giving the a smile and squeezed their hand then looked between them before mouthing, "thank you."

They shook their heads at me, equally giving me a smile. "No need to thank us."

I nodded and got up from sitting between them. I walked to Lui's bed to look at him, I haven't seen him this morning. Both eyes were glued shut, he was still unconscious and though the doctors said he was still alive, his skin was paler than before. It makes me worried the more but I'm not a medical person, they might be right for all I know.

My heart twitches seeing a man that strong and lively, lying down like a vegetable and depending on machines to stabilize him and keep him alive. How strange the world is, one minute you're so boisterous and the next, you're bedridden in bed as you fight to live.