Book one: Chapter eight

Zuri's POV

I've been working under the devil himself some months now, close to a year and I must say, it's been nothing but hell. I'm surprised I am still alive after all want he's put me through and haven't submitted my resignation letter. He gives me no choice to do that.

Making me run errand upon errand, walk quickly in my heels to complete his daily assignments like we're in subway surfers where there's a new task every day. I've been nothing but efficient in my work. Getting him his cup of expresso from my favorite coffee shop every morning, read his schedule to him like he instructed me to, fax and send emails and gifts to whoever he wishes. I also make reservations at restaurants for business meetings as well as pleasure with that lady he sucked her face in his office.

The lady hasn't stopped coming here since that day and anytime she's around, he gets upset, forcing me to make excuses on his behalf. She doesn't hear any of it, storming into his office despite my protests.

I'm happy she's being a thorn in his flesh like how he makes me suffer. Aside the office work, he has called me on more than five occasions to his house with different excuses every time. One time I got so pissed, I nearly smacked his hands when he texted me saying it's urgent I come over only to get there for him to tell me he had forgotten what he wants me to do. I left and was called back again three consecutive times till he remembered he wanted me to get him Chinese from his favorite restaurant.

I go back home every night at 9 to my family because he has extended my working hours till then and has increased my salary so I hardly complain. I go home so tired, I hardly eat and rather go straight to bed, sometimes forgetting to take my bath. It's all worth it in the end because this salary raise has helped me to move my family into a less dangerous and ideal neighborhood not so far from my workplace.

There's this gala coming up in two weeks time which is going to be organized by our company for charity. For me it's a total waste of time, it's only an avenue for these high societal people to rub their wealth in our faces all in the name of helping the needy.

I haven't been to one since I started working here. I only get to watch the highlights of the videos they take on television and that's that. I even don't want to go. I'll be bored to death siting there, listen to them blab on and on about their expensive lifestyle. It would be more profitable, being home in bed with a big bucket of ice cream and cookies, watching movies with my baby sis, Wendy. It can even be a sissy bonding time.

"Have you got the venue for the gala booked?" Mr Luigi asked me tapping on his phone beside me in his Ferrari, on our way to work.

I ride with him to work days he needs me for an important assignment in the morning or days he's in a good mood like today. He smiled at me when I entered the car. He has a beautiful smile and gotta smile more. I nearly told him but kept quiet and looked away after returning it. "Yes and preparations for the events have started this morning."

"How did you know?" He asked again still typing on his phone.

"I asked them to call me if they start in case there are changes to be made before they commence."

"That's best, give me any hints if there's any new developments."

I am surprised hearing that comment from him. He never praises me for any good thing I do. It's always okay, you can do better, you have to learn and quit the old ways. Like he can survive a day without me by his side. I was down with cramps some days ago, that day he spammed my phone with message asking me what to do, how and when to do thing I would have done if I were around.

He complained the next day, nagging on and on I should never skip work again. I had him working extra and covering my shit, making him look like a maniac, running around to get things done. He started treating me a little better, going back to his old self once in a while to check on me so I get more reliable like he said.