Book one: Chapter fifteen

This chapter is dedicated to friskriel ❤️

Zuri's POV

My day today was a little boring and contrary to what I wanted. I was literally at home the whole day with my mother, doing nothing aside fixing us a nice decent meal and sitting at the front porch, conversing with her. I didn't like the part of me staying put and not being out there working my ass off to get money and mother even did her best to get my mind of it.

I loved the part I had a great quality time with my mother, savoring every minute of it because when I start working with Kai, I'll be busy and may come home late depending on his schedules.

I'm laying on my bed with Wendy beside me, stuffing our faces with fries she brought from school. I was done with mine and eating the ice cream that came with the fries, "Uh Wendy, look to your right and take my phone for me please." I told her slurring because of the cold ice cream.

"Your phone is beside, you just saying that so I don't get to watch Bobby and Vera sucking faces. Just because I'm a good girl, imma cover my eyes." She said laughing at me, catching on to my trick.

We were watching this sappy romantic movie on the net, two people who're in love with each other but are dating others just to get rid of what they feel. They're totally pissing me off with their silliness, why date someone else when you have the love of your life already? They're at the part where they're gonna share saliva and being the good sister I am, I'm asking Wendy to look elsewhere because she's young and this sixteen years old sissy of mine already knows about sucking faces? Where has the world gotten to?

In my time, we had no idea if it. Who I'm I kidding? People below her age during my days were already doing the deed, leaving them with strings of exs. What a fucked up generation! "Hey how did you know they were gonna do that? Who taught you?"

She hid her face from me as her face got red. Mnh mnh this ain't good, she's done some already. "Uh someone forced himself on me and did that."

"Who Wendy?" This time I was up from lying down to sitting. This is a serious matter, I need to look into. No one has the right to corrupt my baby sis.

"Someone from my class, a boy. He kept smiling at me and winking and one day he did that to me after school. That was the day I came back home with puffy eyes. Eww it was disgusting, I got so mad and punched him in the nose, marking his face with my nails."

Damn! That was harsh. It wasn't good for the boy to that to her but it wasn't right for Wendy to resort to violence, it just ain't right. "He didn't do right, next time instead of beating him, report him. Violence is never the right solution."

"Okay Zuzu, I felt bad the next day seeing him with a bruised nose and his head hung low. Since then he never tried doing that to me or coming near me." She said with sadness all over her face.

"Did you know him?"

"Yeah he was my friend, a good one who protected me from the bullies at school. I just don't know what got into him."

"Bullies? Which people are you talking about miss?" I said in my most stern voice. I can't believe my baby sis suffered bullying in school and never bothered to tell us about it.

"Uhm.." she's looking like a kid caught red handed, stealing meat from soup.

I didn't get the chance to hearing all about the bullies as my mother yelled for her from downstairs. "Mama's calling you, go to her and when you get back here. You're going to have to tell me everything about it, maybe after that I'll pay a visit to your school."

Wendy nodded, getting up hurriedly from the bed. She looked too happy to leave, which made me realize the severity of the bullying. Was I too busy searching for money to miss those times she came back home with marks or teary faces?

I sighed and fell back into bed. I know how it feels like to be the scapegoat in school, I had gone through that to know. My only savior was, my principal was a very kind woman who looked into the issue and sanctioned the culprits, making everyone my personal bodyguards to make sure those bullies never got close to me enough to hurt me. I thank God for Mrs Schneider's life and great help back in high school.

Wendy came back into the room, smiling and her eyes twinkling. It was contrary to how she was when she was living this room. Following right behind her were people who look like their in the fashion industry, no wonder Wendy is so happy.

They pushed past her and the leader of them smiled at me, "we have orders from your boss to style you tonight for the event." I was confused, Kai didn't mention there was going to be an event at the office and that he was going to send people to my house to style me up.

The woman gave me no room to protest, she handed me a shopping bag, shooing me into the bathroom to put it on. Kai seriously owes me a lot of explanation for all this, I hate surprises even if they're nice ones. A little warning beforehand would have been appreciated. "Times not on our side Deandra, please come out."

I was barely done putting it on. I dashed out for the bathroom and sat on the chair, pushed in front of me. This time around, a woman looking man, popularly known as a drag queen came towards me, carrying a box which turned out to be a make up kit after opening it.

I sat there not knowing how many minutes it lasted as he took his time, giving me a facial makeover. All this while, another lady sat beside me, manicuring my hands making me once in a while look away to get a fresh breathe of air, the liquids she's using don't have the nicest scent, so sharp!

They finished with their work and the boss lady herself took her place behind me and made for my hair. I saw her pull out a hair straightener using it on my hair. The steam from it made me grasp the chair, hoping so hard it doesn't burn me, it's the reason I hardly straighten my hair and my kinky hair is stubborn asf. I sit on my ass hours just to get it to straighten properly. "Damn girl, your hair is one stubborn bitch, it's refusing to bow to my straightener." She told me, chuckling. I chuckled too, I thought I was the only one it gave problems to.

"Okay so we are done, Macy bring the mirror. You hand her the clutch, we're running out of time here and you know how the boss hates lateness and waiting." She barked instructions to her crew as she looked down on her wristwatch.

I attempted to stand to stand up but a hand pulled me down to sit, a beautiful lady stared at me, smiling at me. Her eyes looked like she was swooning over me, I caught her look at me down and up, licking her lips. I'm into boys not girls! I wanted to smoothly tell her but decided against it. She brought out a jewelry box and put around my neck a diamond studded choker and matching earrings on my ear. "Now that's perfect."

I smiled at her, taking the clutch from the make up artist and slide my feet into the stiletto heels, walking to the mirror.
I gasped at the reflection in front of me. Oh my mother that ain't me! I can't recognize me, the make up was totally on point. The white feather off the shoulder mermaid dress, fitted me perfectly, accentuating those curves I so don't want to see right now. My hair has been straightened and made into a side blunt cut, glowing perfectly with the choker.

In short, I look stunning. I'm feeling myself right now as I run my hands along the dress, I love it, it's decent and doesn't show much skin. The feather around the top is preventing any cleavage from showing. Just how I love my dresses! Gorgeous.

"Wow Zuzu, you looking like royalty! I bet your boss is going to be smitten by you. He ain't gonn take his eyes way from you the slightest." Wendy who had been quiet all this while squealed, twirling me around. The others in the room, nodded, agreeing with her.

"Alright, alright enough of this. The boss is anxiously waiting for her, so my dear come with me." She locked her phone and stuffed in her pocket, "you guys should take the van back to the work, I'll be with you shortly."

I bid goodbye to an excited Wendy who kept blowing kisses at me till I left the house, following boss lady to the car, waiting for us : a sleek limousine. Mnh sophistication at its best.

The dress of Deandra is up there👆🏼🤸🏽‍♀️ any guesses where she's going?

Please don't forget to vote, comment and recommend.