Book three: Chapter twenty two

Zuri's POV

"Thank you, Nonna." I said, smiling at the old lady who happens to be Lui's nanny when he was a baby, after she handed me a cup of ginger tea to help my nausea.

Taking it, I sat up straight on bed taking a sip of the hot tea. I've been sick lately, never ending fatigue here, nausea there, increased urination and it's making me suspect I might be pregnant  cause my breasts are swollen and I feel bloated but it's not possible, I saw my period two days ago though it was only a small patch, it's still a period.

The extreme nausea I was experiencing forced us to leave Aruba and end our honeymoon short. Instead of going back home, I suggested we come to Italy, his hometown for me to get a feel of how life in Milan is like. So we're here at his house in Milan, being taken care of and pampered by his Nonna.

She keeps spoiling me senseless with her delicious and mouthwatering Italian foods, first class treatment like I don't remember the last time I got out of bed to do anything after coming here two weeks ago except yesterday when I convinced her I wanted to do something around the house but I ended up feeling tired so I had to lie down on the sofa.

Despite my protests, she ended up convincing us to visit the family doctor to run tests and confirm if I'm truly pregnant or it's just a disorder or something so at the moment I'm waiting for Lui to come out of the closet so we can just leave and get it done with. I feel like laying down all day, doing nothing but sleeping.

*********

"Mr and Mrs Gianni, please follow me. Dr Cortez is waiting for you." A nurse immediately stood up from her desk when she saw us enter, with a kind smile on her face, she led us to a door having a metallic inscription of the name she mentioned to us, 'Doctor Carmen Cortez' and pushed the door open for us to enter.

Just as we did, the doctor met our eyes and rose from her chair, coming towards us.

"Welcome Luigi, it's great seeing you after a long time and that too with your beautiful wife by your side." She said as she and Lui shook hands before turning to look at me.

I blushed at the compliment, mouthing a thank you.

She waved her hand dismissively as she smiled,  the Doctor took my hands, walking me to the chair in front of his desk.

"How are you feeling?" She immediately went got down to business.

"I feel sick." I replied her and felt Lui give me a gentle squeeze on my shoulder while standing behind me.

"Sick?" She asked and laughed, looking up to Lui who was chuckling when I turn to glance at him. "Since when?"

I felt pissed at he chuckling at my expense so I nudged him in his stomach which made him groan. I then smirked and answered the Doctor. "For a month now, it started with a common cold then fatigue."

She nodded, jotting it on her tab. "Have you tried taking a pregnancy test in this one month?"

I shook my head. "No, it didn't even occur to me cause I am not pregnant."

"How are you so sure if you haven't taken a test?"

"I saw my blood two days ago after having menstrual cramps for like two weeks."

"Hmm." She watched me closely before waving me over to a room at the corner of her office. When we got in, she handed me a cup and showed me to the bathroom asking me to take a piss into it.

I took the cup and did what she asked of me. I felt it was a waste of time cause I knew I was definitely not pregnant but I had to comply for Lui's sake and my peace of mind. In spite of my denial, I have a feeling within me I might be pregnant but it's so tiny I don't want to give attention to it and get disappointed afterwards.