22

Perhaps because it was their second feast in two days, Delilah didn't seem to fancy the extravagantly prepared food as much as she would have normally. Like everyone else in the Hall, judging by the constantly craning necks, the impatient expressions on every face, the fidgeting, and then standing up to see whether Dumbledore had finished eating yet.

Delilah simply wanted the plates to clear, and to hear who had been selected as champions. At long last, the golden plates returned to their original spotless state; there was a sharp upswing in the level of noise within the hall, which died away almost instantly as Dumbledore gets to his feet.

On either side of him, Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime look as tense and expectant as anyone. Ludo Bagman was beaming and winking at various students. Mr Crouch, however, looks quite uninterested, almost bored before he glances at Delilah, and quickly looks away.

"Five galleons on Diggory being chosen," Stuart says.

"You're on," Delilah says.

"Sit down, please. And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the selection of the champions!" Dumbledore calls.

"I have a bad feeling," Delilah whispers, unable to shake the feeling of impending doom that was swirling in her stomach.

"Did you put your name in?" Cedric asks and Delilah shakes her head.

"I like having all my limbs attached," Delilah replies and he nudges her playfully.

"It's probably nothing," Cedric says. "But don't worry, if anything bad comes our way I'll protect you"

"Cedric, you're too nice to beat someone up,"

"Yeah I remember Marcus Flint's face," Cedric winces. "I think you can hold your own"

Dumbledore approaches the blue flame and it glows red. A name comes out. Everyone looks on anxiously as Dumbledore looks at the singed parchment.

"The Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum!"

"No surprises there!" Ron shouts as a storm of applause and cheering sweeps the Hall.

Delilah watches Viktor Krum rise from the Slytherin table and then he slouches up toward Dumbledore; he turns right, walks along the staff table, and disappears through the door into the next chamber.

"Bravo, Viktor!" Karkaroff booms, so loudly that everyone can hear him, even over all the applause. "Knew you had it in you!"

"The champion for Beauxbatons," said Dumbledore, "is Fleur Delacour"

"Oh look, they're all disappointed," Hermione said over the noise, nodding toward the remainder of the Beauxbatons' party.

"Disappointed is a bit of an understatement," Delilah says. "They need to pull themselves together"

Two of the girls who had not been selected had dissolved into tears and were sobbing with their heads in their arms. When Fleur Delacour too had vanished into the side chamber, silence falls again, but this time it was a silence so stiff with excitement you could almost taste it.

The Hogwarts champion was next. And the Goblet of Fire turns red once more; sparks shower out of it; the tongue of flame shot high into the air, and from its tip, Dumbledore pulls the third piece of parchment.

"The Hogwarts champion" He calls, "is Cedric Diggory!"

Cedric looks to Delilah who was applauding him with a wide smile on his face. He leans down pressing a kiss to her lips before walking up to Professor Dumbledore who directs him to follow the other champions.