57

Delilah sits behind the desk as her class filters in. The witch only taught one class as there was only a small amount of pupils who chose Alchemy as an elective as the grade requirements were very high.

One of her students was Draco Malfoy who offers his friend a smile before taking his seat.

"Professor Potter," One of her Ravenclaw students strides up to her, clearly intending on brown-nosing his way into becoming a Professor's favourite. "Thomas Harrison"

"Call me Delilah," Delilah says. "Professor Potter makes me feel old"

The witch clicks her fingers and the chalk that was residing at the bottom of the blackboard begins to float before it begins to scribe for Delilah.

𝓦𝓮𝓵𝓬𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓐𝓵𝓬𝓱𝓮𝓶𝔂

"Okay," Delilah says, clapping her hands together and the hushed conversation stops. "Welcome to Alchemy. This course means you passed your OWLS in potions, astronomy, muggle studies and transfiguration with at least an exceeds expectations so congratulations on that. So what I'm going to do in today's lesson is brief you on why those specific subjects were needed for this course"

Delilah steps around to the front of her desk and hops up, perching on the edge. She was in a muggle red blazer with matching cigarette trousers and a white blouse with matching white heels. She had never enjoyed wizarding robes and much-preferred muggle fashion.

"The reason potions is a requirement is because upon discovering the composition, structure and magical properties of the four basic elements, the knowledge can be used to develop potions for battle or help advance medicine or any area of magic," Delilah says. "Transfiguration is due to the fact that we study the transmutation of substances which is the conversion of one chemical element into another"

"Why muggle studies?" A voice asks from the back of the room.

"That is a good question," Delilah says. "The reason muggle studies is a requirement is that there was a time, before the ages of witch-hunting, wizards would take inspiration from muggle alchemists' works, some still do. And the requirement for astronomy is due to the fact that in order to interpret alchemical literature you must be able to interpret mystical and metaphysical speculation"

Delilah turns to see her class enraptured by her as she talks, her hands moving as she spoke to her students who were scribbling notes on their parchment, the scratching of quills filling the classroom.

"The ancient science of alchemy is mainly focused upon the four basic elements of nature. Can anyone tell me what those elements are?"

Some hands rise and Delilah ignores the eager waves in her direction, her eyes scan the room before she approaches a Slytherin girl who was slouched in the back.

"Miss-"

The girl looks up and meets Delilah's eyes and realises the older witch was talking to her.

"Fiorella Zabini," The girl says and Delilah nods with a small smile.

"Okay is it just Fiorella or are there any nicknames you like to be called by?"

"Fi works," The girl says.

"Okay Fi," Delilah says. "So can you tell me what the four basic elements of nature are?"

"Fire, Earth, Air and water," Fiorella says.

"Correct," Delilah smiles at the shy witch. "So first we start with the history of alchemy. To avoid muggles suspicion what did the alchemists do as time progressed?"

"Yes?" Delilah looks at her class information sheet. "Maria?"

"They changed words of chemical concepts and processes to terms of pagan and biblical mythology, astrology and other esoteric fields,"

"Almost correct, well done Maria," Delilah says. "Another major area where ancient alchemists gained their terms was Kabbalah which is a school of thought concerned with the mystical aspect of Rabbinic Judaism"

Delilah looks at the board and watches as the chalk perfectly writes at a slow enough pace for the students to copy the information down.

"This marked a progress in alchemical research, as it allowed the exchange of ideas between alchemists," Delilah continues. "But is there anyone here who can tell me of a possible hindrance of using so many different terms from a variety of areas?"

"It made potion recipes appear to be a complicated incantation," Draco is the one to answer Delilah's question.

"Which then confused the learning and spread of Alchemy as a science amongst the Wizarding World," Delilah finishes. "Perfect. It's nice to know the summer reading was done"

Delilah looks at the clock which shows that there were about twenty minutes left of the lesson.

"I'm not going to make this first lesson content-heavy," Delilah says and the class sighs in relief. "But there will be homework"

Groans fill the room and Delilah rolls her eyes.

"It's not a six-foot essay," Delilah says, raising her hands in surrender. "Calm yourselves. I want you to do some research on Dzou Yen, only brief notes are needed. Nothing too complicated to start the year. I'm not evil"

The class all nod and jot down what they need for homework.

"There are some books I would recommend for homework," Delilah says. "Any books on the Zhou Dynasty or the Fourth Century BC. They should tell you everything you need to know about Yen. For anyone wanting to get some advanced reading on the subject, I purchased you all a book from Tomes and Scrolls called Alchemy: A study of the past, present and future of element science and transmutation in the Wizarding World. It isn't on the curriculum but it gives you a deeper understanding of the subject"

Delilah waves her hand and the books levitate before a copy lands in front of each one of her students.

"Tomorrow we will be discussing transformation and will heavily be researching Nicolas Flamel who is one of the wizarding world's most renowned alchemists"

"Isn't he dead now?" Fiorella asks.

"Yes," Delilah replies. "The stone got destroyed-"

"By your brother,"

Delilah turns to the student who spoke with a raised eyebrow.

"No," Delilah says. "It was destroyed so You-Know-Who can never make a return using the elixir. Dumbledore contacted Flamel before having the stone destroyed"

The student nods slightly subdued and the others snicker.

"Now Mr Peters," Delilah says. "I am your professor and you are my student, my personal life and relations are none of your business"

"It's not my fault your brother is a whack job," The boy continues. "You're not much better either"

"And that is detention," Delilah says. "Madame Pomfrey will see you at 7 o'clock, Mr Peters. That gives you enough time to grab some food and for Madame Pomfrey to have enough time to think of a punishment for you. Personally, I'm going to recommend scrubbing bedpans. Does anyone else want to comment on my personal life?"

Silence in the classroom is what follows Delilah's question and the witch nods satisfied.

"No, good. Class dismissed"

The students filter out the door, talking excitedly as they flick through the book Delilah had gifted them. The witch smiles as the enthusiasm for the subject radiates from the students, reminding them of herself.

"Delilah," Draco's voice makes her turn. "I need your help"

 "I need your help"