56

Delilah's eyes scan the Great Hall, not spotting her brother in the hall. The witch looks to Draco, Ron and Hermione who shrug, their eyes continually moving to the door. Eventually, the boy makes an appearance, accompanied by Luna. Harry's face was covered with blood causing Delilah to pinch the tip of her nose with a sigh.

The lights in the Great Hall gently dim so the light only shows the outline of the students' faces as all eyes turn to Dumbledore who was standing at his podium. Dumbledore raises his hand to the ceiling and the clouds respond to the gesture, shifting and moving so the full moon is revealed to them all.

"The very best of evenings to you! First off, please join me in welcoming two new members of our staff, Horace Slughorn," Dumbledore says. "Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape"

A stunned silence fills the hall and Dumbeldore frowns before beginning to clap his hands which is followed by some Slytherins and confused first years.

"Then replacing Professor Griffiths as the Alchemy Professor, Professor Delilah Potter, a familiar face many of you will recognise,"

Uproarious applause bursts from the tables when Delilah rises. Harry, Ron and Seamus whistle as Draco cheers from his position next to Ginny. Delilah grins at the students who were hollering and cheering for her as she sits.

"Alright settle down!" Dumbledore calls and the noise slowly dies down. "Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why. Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath its roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle"

Silence fills the Great Hall as all of the students pay rapt attention to Dumbledore's speech. Delilah's eyes were scanning the Hall before she locks eyes with Tonks who shoots her a wink which the witch returned.

"Today, of course, the world knows him by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I am reminded of a sobering fact. Each day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon remains," Dumbledore pauses, looking at the array of faces in front of him. "You"

Silence remains hanging in the air as students share glances with one another. Delilah is quick to notice a lot of eyes moving to the Slytherin students and she rolls her eyes.

"Just something to keep in mind. Now, off to bed. Pip pip!"

Delilah rises to her feet, walking down to where Ginny, the trio and Draco were waiting for her. Hermione and Ginny embrace the witch who laughs whilst returning their hug.

"Well Dumbledore's speech was cheerful," Ron comments.

"Well the entire wizarding world knows Voldemort is back," Delilah says. "It's hardly sunshine and rainbows right now"

"You think that's the time to raise spirits," Ron retorts and Delilah shrugs.

"Each to their own,"

Delilah departs from the teenagers but Hermione follows her to her dormitory that was near the Gryffindor Common Room.

"What can I help you with, oh young one?" Delilah asks. "I am but a fountain of infinite wisdom"

Hermione sits on Delilah's bed and lets out a heavy sigh as her shoulders slump. Delilah waves her hand causing her tea pot to start whistling as her teacups begin to float around, placing themselves down as the teabags land in them.

"That was a heavy sigh for a sixteen year old," Delilah comments. "You can talk to me 'Mione, you know that"

"Am I a bad person for getting you to wipe my parents' memories?" The girl asks and Delilah sits next to her.

"No," Delilah shakes her head. "You protected two of the people you love most by losing them. That must have been one of the hardest things you've ever had to decide"

"It was," Hermione whispers, taking the floating teacup out of the air. "This one's chipped"

"I find beauty in the broken," Delilah hums. "It gives a person or thing character. A story to tell"

"Then you definitely have more character than most," Hermione jokes and Delilah nudges her playfully. "How are you holding up by the way?"

"Why do you ask?"

"You lost Sirius," Hermione's voice is cautious in her approach. "You haven't cried since that day in the Department of Mysteries"

"If I started crying about everyone I lost I don't think I could stop," Delilah replies. "The only thing I can do is fight for them to make sure that they didn't die for nothing. If I don't then I let them down"

"Where do you find the strength?" Hermione whispers.

"We're women honey," Delilah wraps an arm around the girl. "The strength finds us"

 "The strength finds us"