Rhoam

The girls on the track next to Link gasp and squint their eyes at me. Urbosa looks at me in shock but her wide grin suggests that she's somewhat proud of my action. At least it did the trick; without a word, Link continued his walk toward the soccer field. The girls call after him, but he doesn't bother to look at them.

"What's wrong with him? Is he mute? Or deaf?"

"No, that's not it," Urbosa laughs. "He just doesn't talk much. I'm surprised he even stopped to look at you. He usually doesn't talk or look at anyone before a game in order to stay focused. Believe it or not, but he doesn't notice other people easily, even when they say his name. He's one of the most dedicated and steadfast athletes I have ever seen."

"Ever? Even at the Olympics?"

"Even then. He's only a sophomore now and has already broken several school records."

"How does he do it? How does he just... block it out? All the jabbering around him."

"Nobody knows, but I wish my team had that ability too," Urbosa rises to her feet again to scold the ogling group of girls, "Break is over, run your laps!"

She literally has to force the girls to stop staring after Link.

"You said today is a game day?" I ask curiously as Urbosa takes her seat.

"Yes, the soccer game starts in about an hour, are you going to watch?"

"No," I am quick to answer. Not only because I have no interest in soccer or sports in general, but because Father would want me to go home and study. Worry and angst dress my face once again when I imagine Father's punishment. I clutch the locket sitting in the center of my chest.

Urbosa smiles at me. "He's just a human too, you know?"

"Link?"

"Your father."

"Oh."

"I've known your father for a very long time and I know that he just wants what's best for you. He is a stubborn man, but nothing is more important to him than your happiness. Maybe you just have to talk to him."

"We don't talk. You know we don't. He orders me to do things, and I do them. That's how we work."

"And where has that gotten you?" Urbosa raises her eyebrows. "I think it's time the two of you sit down and have a real conversation."

"He won't listen to anything I have to say."

"Then you have to be the first to listen."

I sigh and look at the horizon where the blue of the ocean is peaking through some palm trees. Sun will be setting soon, gilding the pacific with glistering colors. "You're right. I should probably go home and wait for Father to approach me..."

Maybe Urbosa really does know him better than me and he will hear me out for once. As I get up, Impa calls my name from the bottom of the bleachers.

"I ran all the way to the science building, then all the way here." She sounds out of breath, but there is no trace of anger in her voice. "I told you to stay where you are."

"I must have overheard you say that. Sorry."

"It's fine." She waves her hand and holds her sides as she catches her breath.

"How did you know I'd be here?" I ask.

"Oh please. You're very predictable. I knew you'd want to talk to Urbosa," she greets her and Urbosa waves back down at her. "Are you guys good? Should I go?"

"Don't go," I call down, "I'll only be a second."

After thanking Urbosa for her time and for her advice I walk down to be with Impa. Before I know it she has her arm around my shoulders and leads the way once again.