Gift

(Sorry for the delay, I'm on a snowboarding weekend trip and barely have time to work. Xo -Ace)

——

"Link, there is something I have to tell you."

Little clouds of breath dissolve in front of our mouths. The sun has set, the sky is pink, and all the lights in the village have turned on. Even the endless rows of Christmas lights that connect each of the wooden buildings shine brightly in the company of stars.

Link loosens our hug slightly to look at me. "Okay," he says, patiently waiting for me to speak.

He must be able to hear my heart. It's drumming against my throat. My eyes hold his gaze nervously. He returns the calmest and most loving look, giving me the sense of home I was missing. I take a deep breath and exhale it slowly.

"A few weeks ago..." I haven't spend enough time thinking about my wording and I'm slightly freaking out as I go. "Something happened... I wasn't able to talk about it. Even now, I don't think I'm ready to say it out loud," I whisper in shame.

"That's okay." He doesn't even know what I'm talking about, yet he is sure to show me his compassion with those simple words.

"It's not okay... If I don't tell you, someone else might. I don't want that," my breaths quicken and the pressure is choking me from the inside. "If—if someone else tells you—" each breath becomes more of a struggle.

I don't want to talk about this, ever, but if I don't tell him, Ganon will, using the hickey as proof. I'm sure Karusa has told all his teammates what happened and plans to use it against Hyrule. Or they will tell Father and he will think I lied to him. Oh no. I didn't even think about that. What will Father think of me when they tell him that I asked for it? That I really did go to that frat house to party with them? He will believe them! Will Link share Fathers opinion about me? Will he see me as the shameful woman I was labeled as?

"If someone else tells you before I do, they might alter the truth, and—and then—and then they'll tell you something about me that isn't true or not fully true, you see? I'm scared that they'll say these things about me—and—and—"

"Hey," Link cups my cheeks, "Breathe," his soft voice tells me. "We've been over this. I don't believe what others say about you. You don't have to worry about that."

"But.... if you knew... you'd be mad."

"At you?"

"I don't know. Maybe. Not just me. Others too. I'm sorry, this is probably very confusing."

"It's okay. If you're not ready to talk about it you don't have to."

A visible sigh appears in front of my mouth. "Thank you. You're so patient and understanding. You have no idea how much that means to me." I fall back into his warm hug.

"Of course."

"No, seriously... I don't deserve this..."

"You do. Everyone does."

"Link..." I want to tell him but I also really don't want to tell him. I'm at war with myself.

"I'm not going anywhere," he says softly. "Tell me when you're ready. I'll be here."

I try to fight it, but his words return tears to my eyes. I manage to blink them away before our hug ends. Why do I always get so emotional when it comes to Link. I wish I could be stronger and control my emotions.

"Hey, I hope I'm not pressuring you into anything," he suddenly says, scratching the back of his head.

"What do you mean?"