Guilty

On the ride home from Link's doctor's appointment I tell him all about the Scholars Symposium. I received first place for my oral presentation and was awarded a certificate, some prize money, and a photo of the winners was taken for the newspaper. Purah was up there too for her creation of vegan anti-aging cream. Pik wasn't awarded anything but he didn't seem to care. His voice combined with his gift for songwriting could have easily earned him first place in his category but I don't think he participated to receive a certificate. I think he just wanted to be heard.

"How's your leg?" I ask Link. We're close to the house.

"It feels much lighter now that the cooling pad and bandages are off," he says while biting into his popsicle. My teeth tingle when I see him chewing.

"Don't judge. You eat ice cream with a fork," he mumbles with his mouth full of flavored ice.

"When I told you that, I didn't think you were going to hold it against me for the rest of my life, you chicken-hating, pot-smashing, rock-eating, arson boy."

"You forgot cross-dressing."

"The saris," I remember and roll my eyes halfway with a playful smile.

"I'm really proud of you by the way." Link throws the wooden stick out the car window.

"Hey don't throw trash out the window," I scold him.

"Sorry."

"Why proud?" I ask and he smiles.

"Your presentation, dummy. It was awesome. I could never do that."

"Aw, thank you so much." I've received much praise today but none of it means anything in comparison to Link's words. "How's the pain on a scale of 1-10?"

"3. I took some painkillers before we left, so."

"Don't take any more until you go to bed. Otherwise you'll wake up in pain again."

"Yes, Dr. Hyrule."

When we get home Link keeps smirking at me as I help him up the stairs and I don't know if I want to know what those looks are for. What is he up to? I put the car keys down and examine his bedroom. Nothing out of the ordinary. I look back at Link.

"Okay, why are you smirking like a child who secretly ate all the chocolate from grandma's purse?"

"I have to take a shower and I need help," he bursts into laughter. "Looks like there is a silver lining to all of this."

"Funny," I cross my arms.

"Don't get too excited, I only need help with the plastic bag," he mocks and lightly pinches my cheek.

"I'm sure one of your lovely roommates would gladly help with that," I tease.

"But who wants a male nurse?" He chuckles and hops to the bathroom.

I follow shortly after and arrive just as he pulls his t-shirt over his head. He drops it to the floor and sits down on the rim of the bathtub to remove his sweatpants. My eyes dart to the mirror; my face looks as sunburned as it did on our first date. When will I stop blushing in Link's presence?

"I thought you needed my help? You seem just fine on your own," I say, staring at the tiled wall.

"Just wanted some company."

"Can I go now?"

"I mean... since you're already here..." He raises an eyebrow and lifts the corner of his mouth.

I laugh, shaking my head at him. "Call me if you need anything or accidentally slip and break your pretty skull."

"I will."