Boyfriend

"So." Link is trying his best to suppress his smile.

"So." Even if I tried hiding my smile, mine would still surpass his by a landslide. "What now? How does this work?"

"Hm?" He tilts his head.

"I've never been... in a relationship before." 

I should write these feelings down so I can remember them forever. I need to make a mental note of this weightlessness. I feel like I'm floating. Every feeling that's been sitting in my stomach for the past 7 months is surfacing a million times more vividly. I feel excited, scared, and at an utter loss of control. But most importantly, I feel this superlative overdose of love. 

"Are we going to change? Is it going to be different?"

"Doesn't have to be." Link takes one of my hands into his. "Couples do what friends do but sometimes they can do other stuff too. Like this," he kisses the back of my hand, "or this," then he plants a kiss on my wrist, "or... this," he says seductively, placing one more kiss a little further up my arm. I can't help but smile so hard that my cheekbones are hurting. "But," he backs away slightly to look at me, "the first thing any couple does to make it official," he kisses my cheek and leaves his lips there to whisper in my ear, "is to take a shower together."

"A shower?" I laugh and push him away. "Of course that's what it is! How convenient for you!"

"Sorry," he bursts into laughter and covers his face.

"Don't," I grab his wrists to pull them away from his face. "Don't cover your smile." Suddenly our laughter fades into the night and everything becomes quiet. I cup his cheek and study his face. He is a handsome man. I know beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder but who could deny that his nose, his lips, even his chin and eyebrows are the epitome of perfection? "I really... really like your smile," I say under my breath.

"Okay," he returns quietly. His eyes are unable to leave my gaze.

"You're beautiful, you know that right? Your smile, your laugh... they're one of my favorite things about you."

"Same to you." He gives me a soft smile and leans in slightly.

This is real. This is really happening. I feel like I'm caught in a dream. "I have a boyfriend," I whisper, terrified that saying it out loud will mark the end of this dream.

"And I have a girlfriend," he grins. His eyes leave mine to wander to my lips.

"Yes, you do..." I lean in closer.

"Maybe we should introduce the two. We could go on double dates," he chuckles at his own joke.

"Do you have to ruin every romantic moment?" I roll my eyes with a smile.

As I get up, his hands quickly reach for my hips and pull me back down. He catches me on his lap and doesn't hesitate to kiss me. "I didn't know you were such a hopeless romantic," his laughter continues. "I can give you romance."

Not letting go of me, Link gets to his feet and wraps his arms around my legs and back in the process. I let out an involuntary gasp when he picks me up. Taken aback by his actions, I wrap my arms around his neck and hold on tightly as he carries me.

"What are you doing?" I yelp.

"Carrying you back inside."

"No! Father will see us!" I wiggle with my legs. "Put me down!"

"No, you wanted me to be romantic." He is enjoying this way too much.

"Link!"

"Yes, darling?" he mocks amused.