Kass' Mentor

"Let's go to the pier," Impa suggests as we drive through the city. I love how enchanted the streets and buildings look at night.

"It's almost 8 PM," I remind her. "You promised we'd be back early."

"At your service, Your Highness."

I throw my head in her direction and she sticks her tongue out.

"I didn't make the rules," I shrug.

"Oh please, even if the curfew didn't exist you'd still want to go home this early. You're just such a goody two shoes."

"What can I say? My seven boyfriends shouldn't be left home alone for too long. They are anxiously waiting to be walked and fed."

"What are they? Dogs?" She laughs. "Do they also poop on the carpet if you leave them alone for too long?"

I shrug and try to imagine a boy waiting for me at home. An actual boyfriend.

"I wouldn't be surprised if you treated your first boyfriend like a pup," Impa says, breaking through my thoughts.

I can't argue that, but I wouldn't agree either. To be honest, I have no idea how I'd treat a boyfriend. I blush just at the thought of it. Me and a boy. That's just preposterous.

The drive home feels much faster. I'm sad that the time with Impa has to end but I'm happy to be home nevertheless. I love and hate her for making me forget about my responsibilities. As she parks her car in the driveway I grab my bag from the back seat and search for my keys inside.

"Your father isn't even home yet," Impa says, observing the open parking spot next to my white range rover.

"He never is at this time."

"So let's go to the pier then!"

I choose to ignore her as I climb out of her car. I walk over to the driver's side and she rolls down her window.

"I had fun tonight," I admit, keys in hand.

"I know you did. Let's do that again next week."

"Why not," I smile and say good night.

"Hey, Zelda?" she calls after me. "We can have lunch Tuesdays and Thursdays if you're still free at that time."

"Only if you bring fruit cake."

"You've got yourself a deal."

We shake hands like important businessmen while suppressing our laughter, then she drives off. Sometimes I feel like another person when I'm with Impa. Like a truer version of myself. I can act however I want without fearing judgment. But now that she's gone and I am walking up to the big front door I feel out of place and my fun moments with Impa suddenly appear idiotic and like something I should be ashamed for. The moment I step into the foyer, my heart feels heavy, the air is too thick to breathe, and my smile turns into an irreversible frown. The home may be deserted of people, but it is filled with intolerance and high expectations.

When I enter my room I am surprised to see that it is only a few minutes past 8 PM. I assumed we were going to be gone for much longer, which is why I was dreading to go in the first place. I thought about going back to campus to study in the library tonight, but the drive is thirty minutes each way, so it's not worth going when I have to be back by 10 PM anyways. I'll just go tomorrow and Sunday.

Luckily, I have my own beautiful workspace right here in my room; a white desk decorated with succulents, lights, some of my favorite novels, a calendar, and photos of me and Impa, and... Mother. I pick up the frame as I sit down in my chair and lose myself in the comforting memories of a distant past. My conscience is telling me No Distractions! but I push that thought right back into the corner of my head. Mother is the one distraction I will always allow.

Breath of the Wild College AU fanfic │Thinking About YouOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara