Billy Hargrove X Reader - Don't Let Go

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Don't Let Go by En Vogue, which I absolutely adore at all times. In fact, there's a chance I've used it for inspiration before and just can't remember. Either way, I hope you all enjoy it.

You should've known that when Chrissy's parents went out of town, the house party would be incredible. I mean, the house itself was pretty impressive, so to throw in a lack of adult supervision and a hell of a lot of alcohol at the expense of the credit card her dad had given her when she was 13, it was destined to go down in the Hawkins High history books.

The moment you'd walked through the door, Billy had gravitated to your side. He'd fixed you a drink and told you how pretty you looked and you'd all but swooned at the compliment, grinning at him as if you were in some private place rather than a bustling living room turn nightclub. And then, after a couple of drinks, you'd actually managed to lure him onto the makeshift dance floor with you, swaying away to the music in a giddy, tipsy stupor.

He was smiling at you like you hung the stars and the moon, his hand holding yours so gently that it was easy to forget that you hadn't gone past the point of friendship and into something more yet. When you had led his hands to your hip, letting your arms shift up to rest around his shoulders, his smile had faltered slightly and he'd taken a deep swallow before pulling back slightly, clearing his throat. "Sorry," he murmured softly, his hands retreating as your brow furrowed in confusion. "I need a smoke," he added, removing your hands from his shoulders as gently as he could manage before turning on his heel and heading for the back door.

You turned your head slightly, finding Chrissy on the other side of the room, watching you with pure concern painting her features. "What happened?" she mouthed to you, watching as you shrugged slightly, biting down on your bottom lip. It had been clear for a long time that you and Billy were far more into one another than either of you was too keen to admit, but now you were wondering whether your feelings had ever actually been reciprocated or whether maybe it had all been in your head all along.

You finally pushed your way out of the crowd of dancers, moving to the other side of the room and picking up two beers from the drinks table before heading out the way Billy had gone.

Your brow furrowed slightly when you were outside, your eyes scanning the rather expansive garden in search of him, and then, just out of the corner of your eye, you saw him. He was leaning up against the wall, a cigarette hanging from between his lips.

"Hi," you hummed softly, holding out one of the beers in his direction, a soft smile on your lips when he took it, watching you carefully as you moved to lean beside him. "So that was a little too much, huh?" you murmured, seeing the way he was watching you out of the corner of your eye but forcing yourself to keep your attention facing forward.

"I just needed a smoke-"

"What are you so scared of?" you interrupted your resolve completely disappearing as you turned your entire body to face him.

Billy froze, his mouth opening and closing as he searched for something to say. Anything to calm your clearly rising anxiety. "Nothing," he muttered. "I, uh-" he paused, clearing his throat. "Not scared of anything."

"Do you like me?" you uttered, watching him hesitate for just a second before he nodded. "Right, well, I like you too, so what's the problem?"

A soft sigh slipped from Billy's lip. "This isn't some stupid crush, Sweetheart," he hummed softly, finally turning his gaze on you, his face set in a concerned frown. When you didn't say anything, he lifted his hand, rubbing awkwardly at his forehead, searching for his next words carefully. "It's more than just liking you, alright? If I get scared and ditch out on you, I could really hurt you," he uttered, pausing for just a second. "And honestly, If I hurt you, I think it'd kill me."

A small smile pulled at your lips, your head tilting to the side. "It's more than just a crush for me too, you know that right?" you told him, reaching out to pull his hand away from his face, attempting to show him just how honest you were being.

"No?" he murmured, his tongue darting out to wet his bottom lip.

"Nope," you uttered. "You know Chrissy teases me about how close we are all the time? She thinks we're both idiots for not just getting together already." A soft chuckle slipped out of you as you shook your head. "Apparently, you bring out a side of me she's not seen for a while."

"Yeah?"

You nodded slightly. "She told me the other day that she's never seen me as happy as I am when I'm with you," you confessed, peering up at him with the most gentle eyes he had ever seen.

Billy smiled softly down at you, pushing off of the wall to move a little closer to you, his hand shifting to touch your hip lightly. "Yeah, well you bring out a better side in me," he hummed, his other hand lifting to touch your cheek lightly. "I don't think I've ever been so-" he paused, letting out a soft sigh as he searched for the right word. "Calm," he finished quietly. "You make me feel calmer."

With that hanging in the air between you, you pushed up onto your tip toes, your lips brushing over his so lightly that Billy blinked down at you. No one had ever been so gentle with him. No one had ever cared enough to try. He shifted his thumb, running it over your bottom lip.

"God," he uttered softly, watching your expression shift into confusion for just a second. "I think I'm in love with you," he told you softly, leaning down and drawing you into a deeper kiss.

You let out a soft giggle as he pulled back, his nose still nudging against yours as he grinned down at you. "Yeah, I think I love you too."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x