Harrington!Reader - Holy Revival

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Holy Revival by Maisie Peters (I got to go and see her live last week. It was iconic and has set me down an obsessive path, so bare with me whilst I write a bunch of stuff inspired by her lyrics.) This one is a modern AU where Robin and Steve work together at a modernised version of Scoops Ahoy and Reader is Steve's little sister. I hope you all enjoy it.  

When both Steve and Robin had told you that they would be working every day between Christmas and New Year, you had been devastated. Ever since they'd started working together, Robin had started hanging around the house more, and now, the three of you were practically inseparable. So, the idea of spending a full 5 days sitting around the house on your own was starting to get a little overwhelming. 

So, instead, you did what any logical person would do, and decided to pester them non-stop whilst they tried to work. You would set yourself up at a table right near the counter and spend the entire day nattering away whilst they tried their hardest to ignore you and serve the other people in the shop. 

"I'm sort of disappointed that Andy didn't try and slide into my DMs with a Merry Christmas, you know?" you hummed softly, frowning down at your phone with furrowed brows, causing Steve to let out a frustrated sigh from behind the counter. 

"Maybe he's just waiting for New Year?" Robin started, wiping down the table next to yours where some bratty little kid had spilt a bunch of ice cream whilst his Mom pretended he didn't exist. "He might invite you to that party at Chissy's place."

"Well, he's cutting it kind of fine, don't you think?" you grumbled, finally dropping your phone face down on the table, your arms crossing over your chest in frustration. "I mean, he's got a 5-day window here."

"What?" 

Steve snorted, leaning forward over the counter and shaking his head. "Y/N's got this thing in her head that she's going to be a completely different woman next year."

"There's nothing wrong with deciding to stop tolerating bullshit-"

"You're going to stop tolerating bullshit?" Robin interrupted, looking a little confused. 

You nodded, your frustration finally dropping from your features as you sat up a little straighter. "Next year, I'm going to be a completely non-bullshit tolerating girl. Loo after my head. Leave people on read when it doesn't benefit me. Stop getting attached to idiot guys. No more crying in my car when I hurt my own feelings. I'm not going through it all again when someone is fundamentally wrong for me."

"But, you're still waiting on a text from Andy," Steve grumbled. "Who is the biggest idiot going, who was totally wrong for you, and who hurt your feelings over and over again."

"I don't want to actually get back with him," you bit back, shaking your head. "I just want to be the grown-up here, you know? I want him to message me so that I can wish him the best and send him on his way."

Steve rolled his eyes before pushing up off of the counter. "You're an idiot," he grumbled, shaking his head in disbelief before going out into the back room to finish up restocking for the next shift. 

"He doesn't get it," you muttered, letting your eyes meet and already frowning Robin. "He doesn't get what it's like to make the same mistake over and over and expect it to have a different outcome-"

"You're kidding, right?" Robin interjected. "Steve's got one of the worst dating records going," she pressed on. "God, I know you guys are siblings and probably have the same level of Daddy and Mommy issues, but it's genuinely impressive how you guys are so similar. He ignores the exact same red flags that you do."

"No, he doesn't-"

"Yeah," she interrupted again. "He really does. You're both so needy for some positive attention that you forget all the reasons the person giving it to you is wrong for you."

Your brow furrowed slightly. "Wow."

"Sorry-"

"No, it's fine," you uttered, cutting her off before she could finish apologising. "You're right."

She nodded slightly. "I usually am."

A soft snort of laughter slipped out of you at her comment, and then you shook your head, scooping up your phone from your table and tapping away at the screen for a moment. 

"What are you doing?"

"I'm blocking Andy on everything. I don't need to give him a chance to break down the barriers again." You finally glanced up, sending her a small smile. "This is going to be my healing era. My focus-on-me time. And God, It's going to be so good for my head."

Robin nodded again. "Do you think you can convince your idiot brother to join you on this little journey of yours? Think Steve needs it as much as you do; maybe even more. I'm so tired of listening to him tell me about his shitty dating life."

You snorted at her comment. "I'll see what I can do."

"You're a lifesaver," she exclaimed, holding her hands together as if she were praying to you. "You have no idea how much torture you'll be saving me from."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x